Which grains need milling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ODUBrew

Reaction score
I've just started so sorry if this is a stupid question, but I intend on my second beer being an oak barrel stout clone(my first beer I used the syrup) and wanted to know which of these following grains from the recipe I will have to mill?
8lbs. 1oz. 2 row pale
6.5oz. carapils malt
15oz. munich malt
10oz.crystal maly (40L)
6oz. rauchmalz
6.5oz. wheat malt
10oz. chocolate malt
12oz. roasted barley (500L)

Looks like all of it, if you don't, the mash water cannot extract the sugars from the grain to create your fermentables.

ok thanks, is there any grain mill in particular that experienced brewers prefer over others?

There are many threads on here reviewing the various grain mills that are out there...there is the barley crusher, crankenstein, etc., etc....

Just to add: that recipe is an All-grain recipe, which needs to be mashed, sparged etc in order for it to work....this is in contrast to extract recipes which are made up either partially/wholly of fermentables in powder/syrup form.

if you're not quite ready to invest in the mill, your grain provider can crush those grains for you.

WELCOME to HBT, ODUBrew!

Back