Oatmeal Stout Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulied65

Reaction score
I brewed an All-Grain Oatmeal Stout:

8lbs - 2-row
1 1/2lbs - Flaked Oats
1lb - Munich
8oz - Chocolate Malt
8oz - Crystal 40
6oz - Roasted Barley (300*)
6oz - Roasted Barley (500*)
4oz Crystal 80

1oz Magnum hops at 60 minutes
London Ale yeast with a starter

So now my questions lol. While the stout tastes really good, it is pretty thin and my OG was only 1.050. How can I thicken up the mouthfeel? and How can I use basically the same recipe but increase the ABV? Can I just multiply everything by the same factor to increase the grain?

There are a number of ways to accomplish this, none are wrong. I guess if it were me, and I disclaim this with I am not an expert at recipe creation. I would increase the base malt more than I would increase the specialty grains. Go with what you feel, I guess.

I would also increase my mash temp and use a low attenuating yeast so it finishes at a higher FG. I just kegged an Imperial Stout that went from 1.105 to 1.034 and it is like drinking syrup...

This ^^^^^

Increase mash temp to increase body and increase base malt to add ABV and to compensate for the loss of ABV that will result from higher mash temp (due to a higher FG).

Like others mentioned, bump up the mash temp. Try for around 154-156F and maintain it as close as possible for at least the first 20 minutes, when most of the conversion occurs. Have you calibrated your thermometer? If it reads a few degrees above actual, that can throw things off with the mash. When you boost base malt, you shouldn't need to scale up the rest, as you have plenty of roast malts to keep the color, and plenty of oats.

you don't say what the mash temp and final gravity were?
as has been said above, there's no right or wrong way. but i would do it a little different.
if you were happy with the beer and just wanted to raise the abv a little i'd just add some sugar.
if you mean to make a stronger, more heavybodied/mouthfeel version of the beer then i'd actually keep the ratio of grains the same - that is scale up all the grains, not just the pale.

I brewed an All-Grain Oatmeal Stout:

8lbs - 2-row
1 1/2lbs - Flaked Oats
1lb - Munich
8oz - Chocolate Malt
8oz - Crystal 40
6oz - Roasted Barley (300*)
6oz - Roasted Barley (500*)
4oz Crystal 80

1oz Magnum hops at 60 minutes
London Ale yeast with a starter

So now my questions lol. While the stout tastes really good, it is pretty thin and my OG was only 1.050. How can I thicken up the mouthfeel? and How can I use basically the same recipe but increase the ABV? Can I just multiply everything by the same factor to increase the grain?

An OG of 1.050 can make a fine stout. You don't have to have a lot of alcohol to be a good stout, look to Guiness as an example. The best way to thicken up the mouthfeel of this batch is to wait. Stouts take time to mature and when they do they gain mouthfeel. I've learned to wait 2 to 3 month on a robust porter and longer for a good stout.

While you are waiting for your stout to come around, brew a witbeer as they will be ready to drink very quickly. Beers mature at different times depending on their color and alcohol content. The high alcohol beers and dark beer take more time than the light beers.

But seriously, more oats. I'm surprised it's thin with 1.5# in there. I use oats in a lot of recipes to increase head retention and mouthfeel. You can also use carapils, wheat, rye, golden naked oats.

Take note of the percentages of each grain in the recipe as it is, and scale it up. Use some brewing software to see what the new OG will be. Mash at a temp around 156F. If the stronger beer still seems thin, maybe add some lactose.

You might be interested in this recipe: https://growlermag.com/homebrew-recipe-oatmeal-cream-double-stout/

Back