What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I have a porter that I think I want to enter. It's a vanilla bean bourbon oak porter. I'd like to get feedback from fellow brewers who have entered competitions. That's really all. Want a bottle?

I don't recall who said something, I wasn't trying to be weird about not naming names, but I've noticed others have called out off topic chatter and I'm the worst about it. Out of sheer respect for the group, I just want to try and fly right and not piss others off.

i figured a public appology was in order...

pizza party for lunch for risking our lives in the snow storm to come work... love it

I, for one, am sick and tired of all the off-topic banter in this thread!

Here are a couple pics of my backyard damage:

Sent by a cellular communication device

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391613625.633799.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391613923.796600.jpg

My basement is about 100% below grade with a couple small windows in window wells, it's coming in through one of them. I've got some drainage issues to work on in the spring, along with some downed tree cleanup...

Thanks, the basement is unfinished luckily, so it won't be too bad. I guess.

Suck but maybe you can parlay that into a brewery build or an insurance-assisted half build. :D
i figured a public appology was in order...

pizza party for lunch for risking our lives in the snow storm to come work... love it
Aww hugs all around.

More iced coffee. Had dipping eggs with my french bread. Yum.

Well, I have a porter that I think I want to enter. It's a vanilla bean bourbon oak porter. I'd like to get feedback from fellow brewers who have entered competitions. That's really all. Want a bottle?

Sure. i'll give you some feed back. We can do a little trade on some HB and local favorites. I think I have a few that are ready

Sure. i'll give you some feed back. We can do a little trade on some HB and local favorites. I think I have a few that are ready
Okay, I'll try to get something like that set up. I was thinking a quick turn around of sending HB but I can see about shopping in the next two weeks and get back to you. I'm tight on trades these days because I need to have something major replaced in my house. It's costly and it'll suck a lot of cash so I've been laying low on new trades. But we'll see.

Water now.

Wish I could have a beer while working from home. I've lost most of one pine, half another fell, knocking down a few of my neighbor's trees and I'm now pumping water out of my basement. FML

Sounds like fun. :cross:

I rarely enter comps, but I judge a few times a year. Haven't gotten BJCP certified because it seems like a waste of time and money, but that's a rant all it's own. With a beer like yours, your going to have a hard time getting it in the right category. 23 would be the first choice, but when you list it as a 'vanilla bourbon oak porter' everything is going to have to be in balance, yet distinct, you'll need to state if it's a robust (which I'm assuming it is) or brown porter, and the base beer will need to meet it's category guidelines and not be obscured by the adjuncts. Not to mention catch the right judge at the right point in their flight. Which is my long winded way of saying entering beers like this is a crap shoot at best.

My basement is about 100% below grade with a couple small windows in window wells, it's coming in through one of them. I've got some drainage issues to work on in the spring, along with some downed tree cleanup...

Thanks, the basement is unfinished luckily, so it won't be too bad. I guess.

I hate those basement window well. Our outdoor spigot is in the basement well and the damn thing leaks. I need to fix it, but I've been putting it off til I replace everything with PEX.

Coff. Half a snow day here so I just woke up a couple hours ago. Gotta go in at 12 and the work day ends at 230. What's the point?

Half day? That sounds like a third day. :mug:

Oolong here. Getting some bread finished up and trying to sneak a run in.

Okay, I'll try to get something like that set up. I was thinking a quick turn around of sending HB but I can see about shopping in the next two weeks and get back to you. I'm tight on trades these days because I need to have something major replaced in my house. It's costly and it'll suck a lot of cash so I've been laying low on new trades. But we'll see.

Water now.

No rush at all. Longer you wait, the more I have HB wise. Just let me know when you can

Sounds like fun. :cross:

I rarely enter comps, but I judge a few times a year. Haven't gotten BJCP certified because it seems like a waste of time and money, but that's a rant all it's own. With a beer like yours, your going to have a hard time getting it in the right category. 23 would be the first choice, but when you list it as a 'vanilla bourbon oak porter' everything is going to have to be in balance, yet distinct, you'll need to state if it's a robust (which I'm assuming it is) or brown porter, and the base beer will need to meet it's category guidelines and not be obscured by the adjuncts. Not to mention catch the right judge at the right point in their flight. Which is my long winded way of saying entering beers like this is a crap shoot at best.

I hate those basement window well. Our outdoor spigot is in the basement well and the damn thing leaks. I need to fix it, but I've been putting it off til I replace everything with PEX.

Half day? That sounds like a third day. :mug:

Oolong here. Getting some bread finished up and trying to sneak a run in.
So can I send you a bottle and get feedback? You don't have to send me anything.

No rush at all. Longer you wait, the more I have HB wise. Just let me know when you can
The entires are due end of March I think. I would love to get some hops to do another beer. I don't think my honey hefe is going to make it.

So can I send you a bottle and get feedback? You don't have to send me anything.

The entires are due end of March I think. I would love to get some hops to do another beer. I don't think my honey hefe is going to make it.

Just enter it anyway. I entered a few that I didnt think it will make it but both got 3rd. What do you have to lose?

Just enter it anyway. I entered a few that I didnt think it will make it but both got 3rd. What do you have to lose?

Of course I would. I just like to hear feedback on my beer. I give it away to people I live near and in turn I get crusty and dirty bottles back. I only just realized that despite asking for feedback, that requires interaction and I get the feeling they're not down for that. It's okay, now that I finally get it. Other home brewers are helpful because we all at least understand some of the process. I wasn't saying that I wouldn't enter unless there wasn't 100% positive feedback. I was just looking for feedback.

More coffee...schools closed today which sucks since that means the wife will not be getting paid for a day at the end of the school year while on maternity leave.
So f'ing done with this weather.

Meow meow[/QUOTE

That's why I stayed home on the boys snow days. Can't afford her to miss work .No pay. Had to use a week of pay so far this year already.My wife will not be working it in June after having the baby either with no maternity leave pay. Scary bills for me.

You could always rethink things and if I was in you shoes I probably would!
Thank you for the reminder on the sump pump, some drunk must have tripped over the cord:drunk:

That was an Airplane! quote. Is never actually quit drinking :)

And now my heater broke down, so I need to run to HD and pray it's only a thermocouple. I'll be drinking for real tonight!

no but, do you like movies about gladiators? :D

You mean the WNBA?

About to crack a Wake N Bake before attending a meeting on expanding efficiency and reducing costs in the organization while focusing on talent and strengths of teams and individuals in the workplace.

Ready for me to drink tonight?

Turned into a full snow day. :ban:

Just finished a post-workout shake and will be moving on to beer when the wife and I get back from the grocery store.

F yeah, let's go.

Hope your PWO shake was a beer. Mine sometimes is - but not when I hammer a workout at my work's gym.

I love that place as no one touches weights there - they all run on the treadmill every day and burn all the muscle off of their already skinny-ass bodies. :D:D

I am having a cranberry juice before I get going with more beer. Having a bite to eat.

Of course I would. I just like to hear feedback on my beer. I give it away to people I live near and in turn I get crusty and dirty bottles back. I only just realized that despite asking for feedback, that requires interaction and I get the feeling they're not down for that. It's okay, now that I finally get it. Other home brewers are helpful because we all at least understand some of the process. I wasn't saying that I wouldn't enter unless there wasn't 100% positive feedback. I was just looking for feedback.

I tend to try and pick and choose who I hand bottles to, and when old tried and true recipes, I hand out to coworkers. I have another group of friends/coworkers that I trust to give more in depth responses. Additionally, my homebrew club has proven invaluable.

I am also more than happy to send feedback on bottles. I am also delighted to get feedback on my beer as well. :)

Fixed the heater.
Cleaned up the standing water, still trickling in though.
The trees can wait till the snow melts.
Done work.

Having a nugget nectar. No pic because you've seen it before and I'm too tired/lazy.

I tend to try and pick and choose who I hand bottles to, and when old tried and true recipes, I hand out to coworkers. I have another group of friends/coworkers that I trust to give more in depth responses. Additionally, my homebrew club has proven invaluable.

I am also more than happy to send feedback on bottles. I am also delighted to get feedback on my beer as well. :)

You're close, I'm down for that. :)

Latest posts

Back