Pushed stopper through

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dymnas

Reaction score
Hello,
So I went to my LHBS today to pick up some things for my next batch and while I was there picked up a 1 gal jug and stopper to do my starter in. I got home, boiled up my wort, chilled it, aerated and pitched, then went into my jug. I then pushed in the stopper and went to insert my airlock and PLUNK, the stopper falls straight into the jug full of wort. I know I got too small of a stopper, and the stopper from my carboy is too big. I covered it with sanitized aluminum foil so I think that bits ok but..

What now? How big of a problem is that stopper in the jug? Is there any way to get it out? I'd think I could cut it up somehow but isolating it and actually doing that will be a pain in the ass. Is the stopper going to screw up my ferment?

Thanks for any info you guys have.

Was the stopper fully sanitized? If so then it'll be fine.

As for getting it out, when your jug is empty you can get a large screw of similar diameter to the hole in the stopper, invert and shake the jug until the stopper is somewhat accessible in the neck of the jug (hopefully almost wedged in so you'll have a little control), slowly, carefully thread the screw through the hole and bring the whole thing out (this will probably take several attempts).

I pushed the correct sized rubber stopper in the glass carboy one time. Once it was drained, I put a plastic bag into the jug, inflated / blew it up partially, turned it upside down to where the bung was resting on the bag, then had a friend hold the carboy and yanked the hell out of the bag. It sucked the bung right out first try. I believe this is how you get wine corks out too. My beer was just fine in the end.

i did the same thing with my first beer (as did many others here), washed my arm with one step and fished the thing out of the bucket. the beer turned out fine. i gave a couple of bottles to a friend at work who gave them to her daughter and she says it's the best homebrew she's ever had. i didn't think it was that great but there you go.

Same thing happened to me on my first beer. I left it in there until I transferred to the secondary. I had to fish it out with a coat-hanger but the beer turned out superb. As long as you sanitized the stopper, you're fine.

Thanks for the feedback. I thoroughly sanitized the stopper and after a bomber of my pale ale, I'm super chill. I think it's even helping with my agitation as I try to bump up my yeast count. That screw idea is a good'un. Thanks!

Back