I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hubby just grabbed a bowl so we'll see what happens. I was trying last minute to tone down the spiciness! Hubby got his brain back. Right now he is watching a football game that he listened to on the radio yesterday and he remembers every play!!! He says, oh, this is where 83 goes in and they land on the 10 yard line... or something like that. I don't remember his exact words, but every time he is right about what happens next. Yeah, he's coming back from the land of lostness!!! That chemo had his brain all messed up. **** chemo and **** cancer, and the ****ing horse it rode it on.

Here's hoping no moobs were involved and it was an attractive and pleasant scene. :)

No moobs. I was using my arms to cover up and shift everything back to an upright position before I turned around to see them in the driveway. He was all smiles, even after I went inside and got dressed the rest of the way, offered him some iced tea. :eek:

Jury is in on the chili and it's inedible. Will need more potatoes added to soak up the spiciness or just separate and freeze this stuff as a starter and tomorrow make a fresh pot of chili. Hubby is sweating and swearing!!!

Added: But, he's still eating it!! His face is bright red!!

To have a second jury member, I could have offered some to my dog. But I thought that would be way to cruel to do to a hungry animal at dinner time.

I did finally try the chili myself, it'll make you sneeze and cause eye irritation if you get too close or breath in the fumes. Like pepper spray in a pot, with a ladle.

Bobbi your chili sounds wonderful. I love a super hot chili and it seems I can never find one hot enough :D

I am glad to hear your husband is doing better. Tell him I am rooting for him.

By the way what ever happened to the critter that was living under your house?

Well I retired my old corona mill awhile ago and bought a monster mill 3 roller mill and wow what a difference it has made. My corona has stone plates instead of steel plates and I always ended up with a ton of flour in it and had to use a huge amount of rice hulls. But now even with a grain bill with 30% adjunct grain I do not need rice hulls. How cool is that:fro:

On a sad note though I had a batch of Moose Drool clone that I way over carbed. I could not open a bottle without losing about half the beer before it stopped fizzing. But I was able to save the batch by burping the bottles over the course of a few days. Now it tastes wonderful:mug:

I use a Corona mill too. I used to have a lot of problems with too much flour, then I started running the drill super slow. That helped tremendously. I no longer need rice hulls as a result. With that said.. If I had the cash to drop I'd get a roller mill, too!

You guys are making me envious with this talk of grain mills and beer making. :)

Excited about Thanksgiving. Going to break the wax seal on a two pound cheddar cheese that I made in February. I'm not sure how long traditional cheddars are suppose to age but think 9 months should give it some sharpness. My biggest concern is whether or not I pushed out to much whey during the pressings. A couple of the smaller rounds I made were a bit dry. Will find out in a few days!

Happy Thanksgiving week everybody!

Corona mill is a POS, but it's what I use as well. You're always going to get a bunch of flour with it, but if you condition or wet mill, you should also get relatively entact hulls and rice hulls won't be needed. I routinely brew with up to 50% flaked or raw wheat, lots of rye, oats, malted wheat, corn, whatever and very rarely have any problems lautering. Whenever I have money I could spend on a nicer mill, it always seems to go for commercial beer, more better bottles, etc.

Corona mill is a POS, but it's what I use as well. You're always going to get a bunch of flour with it, but if you condition or wet mill, you should also get relatively entact hulls and rice hulls won't be needed. I routinely brew with up to 50% flaked or raw wheat, lots of rye, oats, malted wheat, corn, whatever and very rarely have any problems lautering. Whenever I have money I could spend on a nicer mill, it always seems to go for commercial beer, more better bottles, etc.

I love my corona mill, but I am sure I'd like a nice roller mill too. I BIAB so the flour is not a bother. I recently added a low speed drill, which made things way easier, but I used to find the hand cranking relaxing (in a mind numbing way).

I spent the weekend struggling to get the 3/16 Accuflex Bev-Seal tubing onto my taps. Man that stuff is tuough to work with. I thought I succeeded by using a heat gun, but I think I damaged the tubing too much and it is horribly thinned at the connection point. I gave up and left the kegs unconnected out of fear.

I spent the weekend struggling to get the 3/16 Accuflex Bev-Seal tubing onto my taps. Man that stuff is tuough to work with. I thought I succeeded by using a heat gun, but I think I damaged the tubing too much and it is horribly thinned at the connection point. I gave up and left the kegs unconnected out of fear.

I usually dip the end of the tubing in boiling water for a second or two, and I also put o-ring lube on the barbs. It makes it a lot easier to slip the tubing on.

This is what I use takes 1/2 second to hook up

image-1733901873.jpg

This is what I use takes 1/2 second to hook up

View attachment 162455

I saw those on a topic specific thread earlier, and that would certainly work on my QD's but I have barbed shanks (eww) that are welded on, and that's the end I'm struggling on. I'll try the lube/boiling tip or be more patient with the heat gun. :mug:

Woot! End of my one day (a 13 hr day) work week! A nice week with family, outdoor activities, beer drinking, turkey leftover eating, football watching, and snoozing awaits.

Two weeks of teaching after the holiday left until finals and most of the craziness is behind me. I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

I just re read the bits about topless gardening and I have to say I am dead set against it. Matter of fact there should be a law against it.....Not against pretty young things like Bobbi doing it but old fat codgers like me looking like a hairy beached whale with boobs out doing it. Join me in signing a petition banning old hairy men from taking their shirts off outside:rockin:

I just re read the bits about topless gardening and I have to say I am dead set against it. Matter of fact there should be a law against it.....Not against pretty young things like Bobbi doing it but old fat codgers like me looking like a hairy beached whale with boobs out doing it. Join me in signing a petition banning old hairy men from taking their shirts off outside:rockin:

I'll sign.

I'm sure that BobbiLynn is just making it all up anyway. She didn't post any pictures, so there's no proof any such topless gardening occurred. ;)

So, have any of you ever ordered sacks of grain from fiftypoundsack.com? I need a couple sacks of grain, so I'm trying to find the best price. Unfortunately there aren't any places local to me that sell grain..

I usually dip the end of the tubing in boiling water for a second or two, and I also put o-ring lube on the barbs. It makes it a lot easier to slip the tubing on.
Hmm, when I put my keezer together I used a lighter. That's kinda dangerous, but really fast.

Then again, I used a torch the other weekend to loosen the connection for the brake line hose I was replacing on my truck... Have I mentioned I like to burn things? :)

Stauffbier said:
So, have any of you ever ordered sacks of grain from fiftypoundsack.com? I need a couple sacks of grain, so I'm trying to find the best price. Unfortunately there aren't any places local to me that sell grain..

I never have. Thought the the name was familiar but believe I was thinking of a bulk hop place. I did check out 50 briefly. I'm on my phone so not the best browsing. Everything is so small. From what I did see 50lbs goes for around $82?

I found MoreBeer.com awhile ago. They give free shipping on orders over $59, I think, somewhere close to that. They won't ship a 50lb bag for free but will ship 5 10lb bags for free. 2-row is $11/10lbs. Buy enough to get their free shipping and you're paying about $66 for 60 lbs of 2-row which if I remember correctly is cheaper than paying shipping on a 50lb bag from them. Other grains cost more per pound. I did research this a bit at one time and seem to remember they gave the best deal. I could very well be wrong but might be worth a few minutes of your time to compare them to what you have available. I really liked them because their shipping was pretty quick, then again they had two warehouses within a few hundred miles of my home.

Happy Thanksgiving my friend.

I looked into them but the shipping was a deal breaker. That said I have three options within a doable distance. The one walking distance is over priced. 40 minutes away is reasonably priced and about 90 minutes is morebeer with great prices, but traffic out there is so bad.

I like Dan's idea of multiple smaller bags from morebeer.

LRB, sort of jealous you're living down there in SC. MoreBeer, is around there. But traffic is terrible. There is a MoreBeer not far from LAX. That's what I thought. Two hours later In heavy traffic I wasn't so sure.

I just ordered ordered over 100 pounds of grain from morebeer. I am way disappointed in their crush. I could mill it myself, but seeing as I knew I'd be brewing all 4 batches in a short window I felt it was worth the small expense. My efficiencies are always dead on, the last 3 brews have been almost 10% less efficient. The only thing changed is the grain. Bummer.

Thanks for the nog suggestions all. I'm going to whip up the Alton Brown one and the Homebrew chef one.

Thanks Guys!

I also like Dan's idea of multiple small bags. I guess I just assumed they wouldn't do that for free. The 50poundsack people offer free shipping to my area, but Dan's idea still ends up being cheaper in the end. There's a place about 60 minutes away, but their prices aren't so great. After factoring in gas I'd have to buy 5-6 sacks to make it worth it. In my case I just want a sack of 2Row and MO, so that idea won't work.

I'll be checking out Morebeer later today..

Happy Thanksgiving Eve everyone!

Okay, I just mocked up an order on Morebeer, and it's actually a tiny bit more expensive than 50poundsack. Basically the price is the same, but the sacks are actually 52 and 55lbs as compared to just getting 50lbs from Morebeer for the same price. So, long story short I'll get an extra 7lbs for the same price from 50pound.

I trust Morebeer as a well known vendor, but I really don't know anything about 50pound. Time to ponder this....

50 lb sack is the bulk department for Rebel Brewer. Rebel has always been great when I've ordered from them. I rarely order online anymore as my LHBS is ridiculsously good for both price and selection.

Wow! Grain is going to cost a lot when I move to Hawaii. I just checked MoreBeer. Six, 10lb bags will cost $67 and with shipping $111. If I buy a 55 pound bag it's $47 and with shipping $104. Either way that's close to $1.90/lb. Crazy. That's just two row. I know there is at least one LHBS on Oahu but I doubt they'll be any cheaper.

Guess I have plenty of time to research options.

Back