Hops for GF beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I read that they are good because Sorghum is kinda on the bitter side. I am going to do gf beer this week and I am leaning towards and APA or IPA

Sorghum has a citrusy twang to it so hops that lend a citrus flavor will go well with it. I personally think that a nicely flavored IPA is the way to go for a gluten free beer.

I haven't really tried using citrusy hops before, but I have a nugget/cascasde IPA fermenting right now.

Sorghum has a citrusy twang to it so hops that lend a citrus flavor will go well with it. I personally think that a nicely flavored IPA is the way to go for a gluten free beer.

So can I ask you for a recipe, or recommended recipe, for said GF beer?

I have a friend in need, and I have never even looked at GF beer...

Check my drop down, there is a recipe for a double IPA and some others. If you don't see something you like check around the gluten free forum and there are a bunch of other recipes too.

Personally I prefer the taste of darker beers with the sorghum syrup, though I have made a nice lager with honey and saaz.

I like fuggles and East Kent Goldings, add in some dark roasted grain pre boil and it tastes great.

I have had great results using the citrus hop, citra. It is rather new I think but it is insane with citrus flavors if you drop hop with it.

I just brewed a citrus IPA for the second time and it is awesome. My friends who arent GF say it is a very good beer even if it wasnt GF so IMO this is a save in my book.

The guy who worked at the home brew store said that IPAs wouldnt work with sorghum beers because hops dont mix with the sorghum malt. I found that to be 100% false. My best beers have been when I hopped it up. Anyways look for Citra. And I am sure a lot know this but I have had great results using buckwheat, quinoa, millet, and GF oats as spec grains and roasting and seeping them in the brew water at 140 degrees for up to 1 hour before adding malt.

How did your IPA turn out BBBF?

It is so upsetting when people at the LHBS give bad advice, or at least advice that they don't know first hand from, especially with gluten free brewing. Like you said, you found it to be 100% false. Bring him some and ask him to rethink his opinion about hops and sorghum "malt".

It is so upsetting when people at the LHBS give bad advice, or at least advice that they don't know first hand from, especially with gluten free brewing. Like you said, you found it to be 100% false. Bring him some and ask him to rethink his opinion about hops and sorghum "malt".

Ha- last I heard he is working at the warehouse!

I did tell some of the other guys who work there, and they were actually taking notes on what I said. But you are right; they just dont run into the GF brewing situation all that much. GF brewing is becoming a little more popular which is awesome and I hope I am giving them decent advice so that when the next GF brewer comes along they share what I have found.

Cool. I think I can learn a few things from this board. I have been reading different topics all night.

Back