Stopping Ferment w/ rum?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrinkaBilly

Reaction score
Has anyone heard of stopping a fermentation with rum or other liquor? This is an idea... and probably a bad one. Might taste awful >;(

But the idea being that the rise in alcohol level will kill off the yeast but still might preserve the carbonation level desired.

Is this true? Has anyone heard of this?

I don't see how carbonation figures into your scheme. What do you mean?

But yes, this will halt a fermentation at the right concentration. Look up some port wine recipes for an idea of how to pull it off. I'm sorry I don't have first hand accounts for you though.

Well, I mean the cider I have now is both sweet and carbonated in the primary. If I dose it with rum and CAREFULLY bottle it, it should retain that carbonation..... is my idea.

Has anyone heard of stopping a fermentation with rum or other liquor? This is an idea... and probably a bad one. Might taste awful >;(

But the idea being that the rise in alcohol level will kill off the yeast but still might preserve the carbonation level desired.

Is this true? Has anyone heard of this?

I haven't read of anyone trying what you suggest. What are you trying to accomplish? A higher alcohol content or just stopping the ferment?

Pappers has a really good method of stopping a ferment. The method is called "Cold Crashing". You can search for his posts on that or perhaps read about his Pasteurization method in the Sticky which discusses how to maintain sugar content and carbonate at the same time.

Well, I mean the cider I have now is both sweet and carbonated in the primary. If I dose it with rum and CAREFULLY bottle it, it should retain that carbonation..... is my idea.

Well, unless you're doing this in a pressurized fermenter, all that carb will have gassed off.

If you want bubbles and sweetness, forced co2 carbonation in a keg is about the only viable option.

Whatever carbonation is in there is low (retained CO2), and will not give you much in the glass. It will be pretty much like still cider.

Adding spirits: 1 pint (of 40% abv) will raise the alcohol by 1% in a 5agallon batch. Depending on the yeast you used you might have to add a lot of spirit.

No; never tried it before, and not tempted to give it a go.

I don't think this is a good idea unless you are trying to make a fortified cider products similar to Port.

Just an idea. I don't think I'll try it. I plan to let it dry and back sweeten it into bottles. I don't care if it's sweet, I just want some fizz.

I've done this with a port, and it worked. I patiently waited until the yeast was close to its ceiling already anyway after a couple syrup feedings too...

Everclear can put the brakes on any yeast if you put enough in.

Note, I wouldn't recommend arresting fermentation using everclear for a cider.

Back