Which one to start with?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lostspring

Reaction score
Ok, I am ready to make the plunge.
I have decided to go with one of the brewing kits(equipment only). Now I need the actual ingrediants. I looked at the kits available and am now totally lost. Where do I start? I would like to get off to a good start.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Tom

Mostly a Budweiser type, but most readily available types seem to be somewhat tasteless. I have been drinking lite beers as of late so that may be it. Just can't seem to find that one that I really like.
Thanks for any help.
Tom

Well light lagers like bud are some of the hardest types of beers to make, not a good why for a beginner to start out.

Are there any Ales that you like?

One way is to look through the BJCP style guide, making note of the commercial versions listed at the bottom of each style BJCP 2008 Style Guidelines - Index and see if any of those ring a bell as something you have had...

Buy yourself a six of Bud American ale. That might suit your tastes, and would be an easy one to replicate if you like it. That might be a good starting point.

You could try one of the 20 minute boil kits from Midwest Supplies. Their American Ale sounds like it might suit your tastes. The 20 minute kits are easy as hell to make. No grains to steep, just extract and hops. That one's here.

If you're looking for a bit more flavor than that, you could go for a kit that includes grains. Their Honey Bee Ale sounds like it might be up your alley.

Thanks guys.
I looked at that list of different beer types.
As close as I can see it is , nothing flowery, nothing sweet. A slight bitter taste. European Lager maybe? Again tho nothing to difficult , I think the main issue is to get off to a good start.
Thanks

An ale is going to be much easier than a lager. Lagers require lower fermentation temperatures which generally mean that you need a spare fridge.

Maybe an English Bitter? They are actually much less bitter than the name implies, but there is definitely a touch of hoppy bitterness to 'em.

I know from helping a couple of guys get started brewing who leaned towards that style is the The Brewer's Best Amber Cervaeza ALE is a good kit...It's pretty much a Mexican Amber Lager, but with ale yeast instead...I guess it's like a Dos Equis type of beer.

I got started on the Brewer's best kits, they're not bad...

LD Carlson Wholesale Home Brewing and Wine Making Supplies

Ales would be much easier to make for a couple of reasons, including no cooling needed and shorter fermentation time.

I'd go to the beer store and see what you like. Kolsch and Cream Ales are light. Perhaps a lite wheat style? There are kits out there that make an American Lite Style beer, which is maybe not exactly the same as Bud, etc., but pretty close.

I say go for a simple American Pale Ale kit from any one of the homebrew supply stores. If you start out shooting for a near tasteless lager type of beer you asking for a disappointment.

Latest posts

Back