Attenuation seems to always be a little high

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
This did not concern me for a few brews but it seems to becoming the norm now (well 50%) . Normally 2 to 4 above (Typical FG is in the 1.012 range - Ambers)

I'm doing mini mashes and hitting my OG right on even though I feel the temp control has been a problem (will be oven fixed the next batch)

Would missing the mash temp (normally too high) cause my to have more unfermentable sugars in the wort? is this the problem? .

I've been surprised that the OG is right on but is the problem cropping up in the FG? or is there some hidden thing I'm missing.

I've been doing AHS Kits

Wait...i am getting a bit confused. Are you not fermenting enough or fermenting to much sugar out? Because if your gravity is higher than it should be then your attenuations is to low. Attenuation is the percentage of sugar that the yeasts fermements out of the wort i think. I could just be reading this wrong but it seems like you are not getting enough attenuation.

I'm hitting my OG 1.050 but instead of FG being 1.010 it's 1.014ish. I was THINKING I would miss the OG but I'm blowing the FG. If this is true . . . . lesson learned!

You are correct - I did a . . . . double positive :)

Not ENOUGH Attenuation.

So I'm getting sugars - just not the right ones! makes sense.

I'm hitting my OG 1.050 but instead of FG being 1.010 it's 1.014ish. I was THINKING I would miss the OG but I'm blowing the FG. If this is true . . . . lesson learned!

You are correct - I did a . . . . double positive :)

Not ENOUGH Attenuation.

So I'm getting sugars - just not the right ones! makes sense.

are you pitching enough yeast? kinda the obviuose question but got to start somewhere

what kind of yeast? What kind of grains are you mashing? Higher temps=more dextrins, lower temps=more fermentables. Try mashing between 149-152F.

Has to be the mash temp - yeast starter - no probs there whatever yeast I'm instructed to use. White Labs now but it was Wyeast.

2-row - a mixture of base and specialty.

Electric stove - I'll be putting everything into the oven now at 152. Electric glass top seems to keep on heating for an extra 15 degrees.

If your mash temp is too high, you will produce longer chain sugars that do not ferment fully.

All things being equal, a higher mash temperature will end up with a higher FG than a lower mash temperature. It's one more item in the brewer's toolkit to affect body and residual sweetness in a beer.

Latest posts

Back