Ready for a change

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_goodwrench

Reaction score
After 6 years at my current job (longest tenured tech here), I am pretty much fed up and looking for a change. About a month ago, I had my review and was praised for my good attitude, excellent production, high level of knowledge about my profession, and willingness to go above and beyond. Recently, I decided that it was time to ask for a raise. All of a sudden, I get a bunch of attitude and excuses about the economy being bad and the same reason I want a raise is the same reason they can't give me one. The following week, the owner of the place calls a meeting to tell us what a great job we all are doing and that if he didn't have the TV, newspaper & internet telling him otherwise, he would think that the auto business was doing just fine!! Someone isn't telling the truth here. I need a raise due to the fact that my health insurance here costs me $200 a week for family coverage!!

Due to this and some other political crap going on here in the shop, I am looking for a new dealership. At the begining of the year, SWMBO, my daughter and I were in Buffalo for the Winter Classic. We stayed at my sister's house. On New Years Eve, I paid a visit to a large Chevy dealer there and spoke to the service manager. When I told him that I am a GM World Class Technician, he became very interested in hiring me. At the time, it was mostly as an experiment to see how the "WCT" would change an interview as I would have to convince SWMBO to move to Buffalo. Next weekend, we will be heading back there for the opening of the Sabres training camp and I have decided to contact this dealership again. This time I am very serious about making the move.

SWMBO and I have talked a lot about it and she is leaving the decision up to me. I am torn about this whole situation. My daughter is 6 and just started 1st grade. SWMBO is no longer working due to illness and she is deferring to me as the "breadwinner". Depending on the pay & bennies at this other dealer, the decision is going to be clear. I am very torn about this whole situation. :drunk:

It all depends on the pay. If the benefits are good, you need to go for it. The fact that SWMBO is leaving the decision up to you sounds like support to me. Good Luck.

Wow wrench, that's a tough one. I hope you figure it out, and it all goes smoothly.

I'm kinda facing the same dilemma. Not so immediate, but in the next two years (give or take a few months) there will hard times out here. I'm going to start looking into relocating. Just keeping it on the back burner as an option so if and when the time comes we'll be ready. It may end up being a good thing. Nevada is ranked 49th worst state for education. My daughter ill be starting school in a few years and I have to think about that.

I can sympathize with your situation. Like I said, I wish you the best.:mug:

I hope you have an easier time than expected figuring out the right thing to do.

A few other comments:

1. From what I've read about asking for raises (from "job tip" articles, etc.), one should only approach it from a business perspective, i.e., you deserve a raise because of qualifications, what you contribute to the organization, work ethic, etc... as opposed to bringing up financial hardship and other personal reasons. Not saying you did that, but just in case.

2. CEOs/Owners always give the positive side of the business during hard economic times to keep morale up. I've seen that happen before. I worked for a builder during the housing decline and every company meeting was about how "great" we're doing and we'll "weather the storm", etc. Not long later was a series of lay-offs.

Thanks guys, this particular dealership is consistently ranked at the top for new Chevy sales in the nation. The service department is extremely busy which is very important. Also there is the fact that we do have family there. If not for this, I might be looking farther away to a larger, more booming area for work. I work on many Corvettes here and warmer climes might be better for that. Buffalo is only 2.5 hours away from where we live now so not that far from the family we have here.

Yeah, I did approach from a business perspective: they just told me how much I go above and beyond, the labor rate has increased since my last raise (3 years ago) and my pay rate is a percentage of the labor rate. Effectively, I took a paycut when the labor rate raised and my payrat did not.

Like I said, someones not telling the truth...

'wrench,

You mentioned a coupla things that you might want to consider, too. First, you said your wife is ill and your insurance runs you $200/week...that's horrible in itself, but please investigate if you are even ABLE to transfer insurance. Could be that the insurance at the new dealership will deny her coverage based on "pre-existing condition". That would suck in a large way! I'd check that out, if I were you.

Another thing is to use an offer at the new dealership to play hardball at your old one. Tell 'em that you don't really want to leave, but they aren't giving you much choice if they can't match the offer. See what they'll do. Maybe it'd be worth a shot.

Anyway, you and your wife are in my thoughts. I hope you get some inspiration as to what is right for you and your family.

Jill,

SWMBO's name is Jill also... anyway, if I do in fact make the change, the new place will be thoroughly vetted! Most plans will only decline to cover a preexisting condition if there is a lapse in coverage(we have changed plans several times in the last few years).

Hardball is definitely in the game plan. My service manager is sorta vindictive and if you get on his bad side, you're pretty well screwed...

That's why I am planning on sticking with Chevy. With the talk of GM making cuts and paring down the divisions, Chevy is the "most likely to not get the ax."

Google has a twisted sense of humor... The current ad at the top of the page, is for the dealer I currently work for...

So, I got my resume in order and have it ready to send off. I converted it to PDF(and locked it to make it read-only) to make it easier to email. I have decided to contact several dealers in that area to find the best offer.

Back