Step mashing in an Igloo ?.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackshirtproud

Reaction score
I want to do an Ommegang clone that involves a step mash. My question is if it possible to do in a simple 10 gal Igloo cooler. If so then how? I tried to use the search but it is way to broad of a question for it.

TIA

easiest way is starting with a thicker mash, and then add boiling water to increase the temp to each step.

promash, beersmith, beertools...and the above URL will all help you do the math on water volume needed to hit each step.

direct fired mash tuns, or the steam idea are better, more controllable methods, but require 'more equipment'

I have done several step mashes in my igloo. Start with a fairly thick mash (.75 - 1 qt per pound), and reduce your sparge water a little if you have to. Play with the mash calculator tool mentioned above, keeping notes on total water added. Takes some fiddling, but works. If you want a mash-out, do a quick decoction (just to boiling). 3-5 quarts for a normal gravity beer should do, depending on grain bill, if you are getting too thin or running out of room. RDWHAHB.

easiest way is starting with a thicker mash, and then add boiling water to increase the temp to each step.

I have done several step mashes in my igloo. Start with a fairly thick mash (.75 - 1 qt per pound), and reduce your sparge water a little if you have to. Play with the mash calculator tool mentioned above, keeping notes on total water added. Takes some fiddling, but works. If you want a mash-out, do a quick decoction (just to boiling). 3-5 quarts for a normal gravity beer should do, depending on grain bill, if you are getting too thin or running out of room. RDWHAHB.

These two hit the nail on the head. I was just listening to a piece on step mashing in a cooler from the Aussie Homebrewer podcast. It's in the last third of the podcast. He goes step by step into how to do it in a cooler.

http://radio.craftbrewer.org/shows/December1-07.mp3

I agree with most of the above. If you are just getting into step mashing, I don't think getting new equipment is the solution. I have done two as of now, and haven't had any issues. I just look at my grain bill, and figure out what I'll need to use for the mash in ratio to be able to heat up the mash for the next step temperature. I start around 1 qt/lb and end up around 1.3qt/lb at the time of mash out. I hope this helps...

I've also used my heatstick to step mash in my cooler. It's a bit tricky. You have to keep the stick moving all the time to keep the grains from sticking and burning to the element. But it does work. I was having problems with being able to add enough water to hit my final temps, and this seems to have helped that. I may have to give steam a try though.

Back