Yet another is my beer infected thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenDragon

Reaction score
No visible signs of infection. Everything looked normal. It's the Emma's Ale from Northern Brewer:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/update-emma-german-donations-youve-help-raise-247802/

I just kegged it and took a small sample. It is very "fruity" tasting. When I say "very" I mean that is the first thing you taste. It's supposed to be an English Style Brown Ale. FG was a little high 1.016, I used SafeAle US-04 (or 05 I can't remember).

It's still early so maybe it's just young??

Depends on which kind of "fruity" you mean, but the 2 that I know of:

Green apple: caused by acetaldehyde, which is a by-product of fermentation, and is a pretty common off-flavor in young beer. Aging for longer periods fixes this 99% of the time.

Banana: caused by esters, which form when fermentation isn't kept at a consistent temperature (usually when it's too warm). Aging can sometimes reduce the presence of esters, but normally they don't completely go away. In a lot of Belgian beers, esters are actually desired & some strains specifically produce them.

English Brown Ale; probably S-04.

First thought is you fermented at too high a temperature. I think spec for that yeast is 64 to 72F. NOTE: actual fermentation temp can be 5 to 10 degrees higher than the room it is in.

Different yeasts produce different flavors at different temperatures.

If you did ferment high, then that is most likely the cause, and it is not going away.

Crap.. it's normally 72F in the house, and the closet it ferments in runs a few degrees cooler. All my previous brews came out fine, but it's been 100+ here in Kansas for almost a full month now (gonna be 110F on Tuesday) and the air conditioner has been struggling. It's hit 80F a few times in the house. I bet that's what did it.

So it's prolly not infected but it is pretty bad and the only thing I can do is age it and hope for the best?

On the bright side I started swamp cooling with the the Oktoberfest I just did so it should be safe.

Update: Had 4 friends try a sample also. They all described it as "sour apple", so I may be okay.. think I'll relax, not worry about it, and drink some of my IPA.

Back