Pump plumbing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmark

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Have a quick question - my planned setup is going to be hard-plumbed with automated valves controlled via brewtroller. What do folks do when it comes to plumbing the inputs to pumps - specifically, if I have two potential inputs, do I simply place a tee on the pump with valves on the other two ends?

I've heard that placing a tee or elbow directly on the pump inlet can cause cavitation issues. Is this accurate, or is just an wives tale that nobody has actually experienced? If accurate, how do folks with hard-plumbed solutions resolve it? For the record, I plan on using the March high-flow version pumps that Morebeer offer.

Thanks!

restricted input will cause cavitation. if you have a limitation on the input such as a tee, and experience cavitation, restrict the output until it is equalized. I used tees on my input, a little distance from the pump, and have seen others also. Have you looked for y fittings?

Thanks... I'll probably do the same and just move the T further away from the inlet just to be on the safe side. I've seen Y fittings, so that's an alternative if things don't work out.

Latest posts

Back