Millions of peaches...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alanwelam

Reaction score
So my buddy just make a pumpkin ale.

He put the pumpkin in the boil...

Has anybody tried this with peaches? every recipe i've seen talks about putting them into the secondary. I've got a peach ale on primary right now, and I plan on dumping in about 10# of peaches, but I was gonna see thoughts for adding them into the boil.

you would definitely get a haze from the fruit in the boil. i think pectic enzyme would help with this...

"If you want to make your own wine out of grapes, peaches, strawberries or any other kind of fruit - you have to have a way of dealing with the naturally occuring pectin. The reason is that pectin can cause solids in your wine to clump together in a colliodal suspension and you'll end up with cloudy wine that won't clear no matter how long you leave it sitting in the secondary.

How to deal with it? Use something that EATS pectin! Pectic Enzyme loves to eat pectin."
http://ezinearticles.com/?How-to-Make-Wine---Pectic-Enzyme---What-is-It?&id=1971544

My buddy and I chopped up and roasted the pumpkin first - then put into primary bagged - we cut off any burnt tips first. Not bad, but next time i recommended we use 6 pumpkins instead of one and to put in secondary...

Personally I would not attempt to make beer with Peaches, Apples, or Pears. Juiced and concentrated they have flavor and nice sugars. Once added to beer, it will be masked and watery, and basically turning your beer into wine. These fruits are good for wine. Even a Peach wine, with nice color, clarity, etc at best has a MILD peach flavor. That is with only one fruit. Add that mild flavor with hops and malt, totally gone.
I understand your thought - give it try on the small scale by all means, but your end result with not be as rich as you are expecting. Try even a small batch with some fruit extract.

Back