How do you process peaches to be added to beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sleepy_D

Reaction score
My plan was to remove the core and then dice them into small pieces and then freeze the peaches until I’m ready to add them in secondary. Do I need to remove the skin from the peaches? I’ve seen some people purée them instead of just dicing them, is that better? What dosing rate is best for a wheat ale? I was thinking of something like 1 lb/gallon

On second thought am I better off with apricots? If so, same questions but with apricots :)

Extract efficiency favors puree for pretty much any fruit. That's what I do to raspberries for brewing a wheat beer. Freezing can help with that process.
For peaches and apricots I would remove the skin and pits then macerate the rest...

Cheers!

I have no experience with peaches in beer, but I have made a peach brandy/wine numerous times, and have a batch going right now. My experience with fresh peaches was mixed; like many commercial vegetables, the focus is transportability and appearance; not flavor. As the old moonshiners used to say of the guys who were in it for profit “They make ‘shine for selling; not drink’n!”
What I finally came to realize is that if I want a good, ripened, consistent peach; let Delmonte handle it. They do all the growing, peeling, coring and can them without preservatives. Until/unless I can grow my own, I am going with them.

Back