Apfelwein is the Devil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeepDiver

Reaction score
Got into hombrewing last May. After reading on here decided my second batch would be Ed Wort's Apfelwein. Had a free carboy, it seemed easy, what could it hurt.

Made a batch the 2nd week or may, let it sit until mid July and bottled. Waited until Sept to try it (see I can be patient). Stuff tasted like rocket fuel, though about dumping it but decided to wait. Waited until Thanksgiving, but while not rocket fuel, still tasted like crap. Had more bottles at this time, so figured I'd leave them. Waited until week before super bowl, hum this stuff isn't bad. Had a couple and left it at that. Got snowed in the next week. Opened one, this is good, drank 5 next morning had the worse hangover ever while shoveling snow.

Just had 4 while brewing my wit, life is good (though thinking it will suck tomorrow) but I'm donw to my last 6 pack. Got a pipeline going of all sorts of good stuff, no sure if I want to tie up a bunch of bottle for a year. But damn this stuff is good after it sits awhile.

I'd get a couple of better bottles and keep apfelwein in the rotation. The stuff is awesome, it just takes time to come into its own. If you make some every 2-3 months. You'll always have some prime apfelwein on hand.

It's awesome to start a Saturday with aplfelwein mixed with cranberry juice and a giant reakfast. Trust me you will have several. And then be ready for a good day.

the last time i drank apfelwein, my wife said i tried to piss in the hallway while i was sleepwalking. conclusion: apfelwein makes wood floor look like a porcelain toilet.

Back