American Pale Ale Three Floyds Zombie Dust Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A little centennial at the start of the boil for me. Mix in galaxy and citra for the rest of the boil and dry hop with both as well. Gives it a better bite imo.
So I'm doing two versions of this recipe. The original with just Citra and a second with a three hop blend. I'm planning on using a combination of Amarillo, Galaxy, and Nelson Sauvine. What do people think on that mix?

I do my own version with citra, centennial and galaxy. My favorite. Haven't changed it since

We'll this is a first...

My ZD clone was not carbonating at all in the keg after 10 days, with 2 of those days at 25 and 30 psi. Finally I theorized that it's such a hop bomb, that a hop oil slick was on the surface and preventing the co2 from entering the beer. So last night I shook the hell out of it at serving pressure, and sure enough tonight it's right about at my desired level of carbonation.

Dry hopped batch#2 of this and brewed up #3. #2 stalled out at 1.018 and #3 is starting at 1.06 with 2lbs 2 row mashed to bump gravity up with extract.

We'll this is a first...

My ZD clone was not carbonating at all in the keg after 10 days, with 2 of those days at 25 and 30 psi. Finally I theorized that it's such a hop bomb, that a hop oil slick was on the surface and preventing the co2 from entering the beer. So last night I shook the hell out of it at serving pressure, and sure enough tonight it's right about at my desired level of carbonation.

Could be that the beer at the bottom of the keg (and certainly in the pickup tube and beer line) is the least carbonated, and shaking it at that point just got some of the more carbonated beer to the bottom of the keg?

Could be that the beer at the bottom of the keg (and certainly in the pickup tube and beer line) is the least carbonated, and shaking it at that point just got some of the more carbonated beer to the bottom of the keg?

I hear you... The hop oil slick thing sounds crazy. If I google 'keg not carbonating "hop oil"' there are posts on other forums with this same explanation.

Question that might already be answered in the previous 168 pages on this thread; I am thinking about brewing this soon, but I am struggling with the hop schedule. I am going to buy 1 lb of Citra at 14.1% alpha.

I should tweak the hop additions for the desired IBU's correct? For instance, the recipe calls for .75 oz (12.4%) - 17 IBU (FWH). When I add the hops on Beer Alchemy at 14.1% alpha, I need .45 oz in order to get 17 IBU.

I'm probably over analyzing, but I am trying to learn how to prioritize. I assume IBU's are the priority and not the amount of hops.

Question that might already be answered in the previous 168 pages on this thread; I am thinking about brewing this soon, but I am struggling with the hop schedule. I am going to buy 1 lb of Citra at 14.1% alpha.

I should tweak the hop additions for the desired IBU's correct? For instance, the recipe calls for .75 oz (12.4%) - 17 IBU (FWH). When I add the hops on Beer Alchemy at 14.1% alpha, I need .45 oz in order to get 17 IBU.

I'm probably over analyzing, but I am trying to learn how to prioritize. I assume IBU's are the priority and not the amount of hops.

Your doing right. Adjust for IBU's.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Personally, I wouldn't mess with the amounts of the late hops since they don't provide much bittering and you will lose flavor/aroma. On this recipe I haven't ever messed with amounts on any addition, but if you want to maybe just do FWH.

Personally, I wouldn't mess with the amounts of the late hops since they don't provide much bittering and you will lose flavor/aroma. On this recipe I haven't ever messed with amounts on any addition, but if you want to maybe just do FWH.

Skeezer --

So are you suggesting that you only buy 12.5 Citra or are you saying you don't worry about the percentage as much as the ounce measurements?

We've been getting 13-14.5% Citra and have never scaled down for IBUs. While we love it as is, what would scaling the FWH down for IBUs really do in the long run, it hasn't been that bitter as it is and we've been using a full ounce at FWH.

Much appreciated everyone. I have done three All Grain batches and am quickly getting addicted to it. Constantly thinking about my next brew. Trying to learn as much as I can.

I would recommend buying citra hops by the pound whenever possible. They store well in the freezer, and you'll save a fair bit of cash doing so.

Also, if you brew hoppy beers often, many other great recipes will utilize citra. It's great to have on hand.

чертовски прав домашний

So my buddy and I are going to brew this on Sunday. We are going to do a 10 gallon batch and we have it scaled, according to our research and calculations, to be a 23.99LB grain bill. We are trying out the new upgraded system for our very first time being a 3 vessel 15.5 gallon converted sanke keg to keggle system.(With a brand new Chugger pump). The mashtun is equipped with a false bottom mashtun kit from brewhardware.com (thanks Bobby love your products!). We are really trying to crunch numbers and figure out our absorption rate with this recipe. I know each recipe/grain bill is going to have different absorption rates and everywhere I read says stick with .125 gallons per pound of grain for absorption (estimated 3 gallons for this grain bill) but we really trying to figure it out for THIS recipe. Throughout this thread we haven't really ever seen anyone touch on specific numbers and volumes like this and I understand everyone has different equipment...BUT...someone out here must have a similar mashtun and I am wondering what exactly was YOUR absorption rate with this style of equipment. We have figured out to this point that we are going to start with 8 gallons strike (being a 1.33qt/lb water to grist ratio for 23.99LB of grain). After we get our first runnings (which will be "x" amount based on absorption rate which we are trying to figure it out) we will then add exact "x" amount of batch sparge water to get to our preboil volume. An absorption rate would be great to hear from someone as it will determine if we will want to increase our water to grist ratio to mash thicker or thinner. Does anyone have any recommendations on the better of the two in regards to that too???

I would recommend buying citra hops by the pound whenever possible. They store well in the freezer, and you'll save a fair bit of cash doing so.

Also, if you brew hoppy beers often, many other great recipes will utilize citra. It's great to have on hand.

Amen to that! My friend bought a 1LB bag of leaf from our LHBS and we have used it in all of our IPA/APA dry hopping phases (even some FWH phases) of variations of this recipe. We also sprinkled in variations of Australian Galaxy with this recipe and they have turned out pretty tasty

So my buddy and I are going to brew this on Sunday. We are going to do a 10 gallon batch and we have it scaled, according to our research and calculations, to be a 23.99LB grain bill. We are trying out the new upgraded system for our very first time being a 3 vessel 15.5 gallon converted sanke keg to keggle system.(With a brand new Chugger pump). The mashtun is equipped with a false bottom mashtun kit from brewhardware.com (thanks Bobby love your products!). We are really trying to crunch numbers and figure out our absorption rate with this recipe. I know each recipe/grain bill is going to have different absorption rates and everywhere I read says stick with .125 gallons per pound of grain for absorption (estimated 3 gallons for this grain bill) but we really trying to figure it out for THIS recipe. Throughout this thread we haven't really ever seen anyone touch on specific numbers and volumes like this and I understand everyone has different equipment...BUT...someone out here must have a similar mashtun and I am wondering what exactly was YOUR absorption rate with this style of equipment. We have figured out to this point that we are going to start with 8 gallons strike (being a 1.33qt/lb water to grist ratio for 23.99LB of grain). After we get our first runnings (which will be "x" amount based on absorption rate which we are trying to figure it out) we will then add exact "x" amount of batch sparge water to get to our preboil volume. An absorption rate would be great to hear from someone as it will determine if we will want to increase our water to grist ratio to mash thicker or thinner. Does anyone have any recommendations on the better of the two in regards to that too???

What was your absorption rate? Changing mash tuns isn't going to change how the grain absorbs water.

I use the same water/grain ratio for every batch I do. 1.3 qt/lb. Whatever you end up going with, just use it for all future batches so you can dial in your system. As this will be the maiden voyage on your new system, there will be a lot of room for variation during the brewing process. New MLT and false bottom, new pump, new 3 vessel system... It's best to keep the simple things constant and water to grain ratio is easy to keep constant so you truly know how your system works.

With that said, best of luck on your brew! Have you ever used a brew pump before? If not, I'd definitely read up on how to mitigate priming issues and NEVER let the pump run while the head is empty! If you hear a screeeeeeeching sound coming from the pump, turn it off ASAP! :D :mug:

I've got a pound of the 2014 crop en route to my house as we speak! I just may have to brew this up in the next week or so! SUPER fresh! :D

Thank you barrooze...will do for the pump info....never used one before but have read up and watched extensive info about them and I am mentally prepared to always make sure its primed and never run dry.

Skeezer....Sorry, I should have clarified....we did single vessel no sparge BIAB and squeezed like crazy so absorption was never measured.

Thank you barrooze...will do for the pump info....never used one before but have read up and watched extensive info about them and I am mentally prepared to always make sure its primed and never run dry.

Skeezer....Sorry, I should have clarified....we did single vessel no sparge BIAB and squeezed like crazy so absorption was never measured.

Ah. That will make a difference! Congrats on the new brew rig.

Took a 3 floyds brewery tour yesterday and he said they do a 90 mintue boil with all their beer. Thought I'd share that, not sure if it impacts this recipe

I know this is years late but I was hoping to make this myself. Was your original gravity really that high? Every calculator I've put this through predicts 1.054. I got 1.053 (all-grain). The IBUs also calculate higher than the post.

Hi guys, I brewed this yesterday in the land down under. I drank the post-boil gravity sample (after it had cooled!) and all I can say is "wow".. well I could say a lot more but this is my arvos break at work and I have plenty more posts to read about beer.

I can't wait to try this brew... will let you know what I think when it's drinkable. how long are people waiting with this one? I fear that I might force carb after fermentation and try it straight away...

oh, my dog is a fan, she braved the noisy burner to lick up the drops that came out of the BIAB bag while I was removing it from the kettle (so it must be good, gets Ruby's lick of approval!).. she normally avoids the burner like the plague.

:rockin:

I know this is years late but I was hoping to make this myself. Was your original gravity really that high? Every calculator I've put this through predicts 1.054. I got 1.053 (all-grain). The IBUs also calculate higher than the post.

The OG in the recipe is spot on as far as I can tell. I used Brewer's Friend and got a predicted of 1.066. Efficiency was a little high, so actual was 1.069.

What efficiency are you assuming?

Thanks for the info. Did they mention why they did a 90 minute boil over a 60?

They didn't and I should have asked but didn't realize it until after the tour.

They are doing a massive addition right now. so Zombie maybe a little more available in the future

Interesting. Now that you say that, it has been more available the last month or so in Cincinnati. I hadn't had it since the beginning of the year but I've had it twice in the last month and I've seen bottle shops are getting it more often. Still disappears fast but it's out there.

The OG in the recipe is spot on as far as I can tell. I used Brewer's Friend and got a predicted of 1.066. Efficiency was a little high, so actual was 1.069.

What efficiency are you assuming?

70% efficiency. that's should be about right, yeah? Or should I have shot for a higher efficiency?

Brewed the AG recipe for the first time about three weeks ago and bottled it over the weekend and couldn't resist a sample. Even green, this is hands down one of my favorite brews I've done and I've been brewing on about a weekly basis for 3 years now! Cheers to skeezer for an outstanding recipe!!! :mug:

This beer was delicious. Well balanced with bitterness and malt, with amazing floral and aroma notes. I PERSONALLY prefer a bit more bitterness, which I may change for my next batch, BUT THIS RECIPE IS DELICIOUS! Keg kicked in 10 days.

Hi guys, this brew is fermenting away, just wondering if anyone has tried the other IPA recipes on this site and how this one compares? By reading the replies it's clearly delicious. Unfortunately living down under It don't get the opportunity to try any US beers, except for those that have sat in a shelf for weeks, so when brewing clones I've never tried the actual beer.

Looking forward to coming to the states though and trying a heap of IPAs and APAs!

Thanks for this recipe Skeezer, I've got a twat-load of citra in the freezer, so if this is as delicious as the OG sample was...I will be brewing this a lot!

Cheers lads.

Hi guys, this brew is fermenting away, just wondering if anyone has tried the other IPA recipes on this site and how this one compares? By reading the replies it's clearly delicious. Unfortunately living down under It don't get the opportunity to try any US beers, except for those that have sat in a shelf for weeks, so when brewing clones I've never tried the actual beer.

Looking forward to coming to the states though and trying a heap of IPAs and APAs!

Thanks for this recipe Skeezer, I've got a twat-load of citra in the freezer, so if this is as delicious as the OG sample was...I will be brewing this a lot!

Cheers lads.

Hey nick, Know the feeling.
I'm just across the ditch and I'm in the same situation as you. Although I have brewed this recipe, and it is damn delicious.Although if I were to do it again, I'd use better yeast than S-04. and possibly a backup hop to suit citra.

Hey nick, Know the feeling.
I'm just across the ditch and I'm in the same situation as you. Although I have brewed this recipe, and it is damn delicious.Although if I were to do it again, I'd use better yeast than S-04. and possibly a backup hop to suit citra.

That's great thank you crusader. Any particular yeast?

Cheers lads.

If it's any consolation, we don't get fine beers like Little Creatures Pale Ale!

If it's any consolation, we don't get fine beers like Little Creatures Pale Ale!

Haha touche. FWIW we've had three blind tastings at work (after hours) and LC Bright Ale has won them all! I prefer it slightly over the Pale Ale.

except the IPA tasting, which Feral Brewings Hop Hog smashed for an ultimate victory.

Haha touche. FWIW we've had three blind tastings at work (after hours) and LC Bright Ale has won them all! I prefer it slightly over the Pale Ale.

except the IPA tasting, which Feral Brewings Hop Hog smashed for an ultimate victory.

I'm yet to have feral beers.
If it's dry yeast go wit US05. Otherwise a liquid yeast like 1968 would be good. Less estery than s04.

I'm yet to have feral beers.
If it's dry yeast go wit US05. Otherwise a liquid yeast like 1968 would be good. Less estery than s04.

The Hop Hog is awesome mate.

****, I used US-04 in this last batch, not sure why..just grabbed it out, had packets of US-05 sitting next to it..

Oh well, a double PA next week, then I'll do a double of ZD.. can't wait to try it, dry hopping the fermenter (well cube) tonight.

Back