American Pale Ale Three Floyds Zombie Dust Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want to brew this one up next but I'm kinda confused with the bittering here. Skeezers recipe calls for 65 IBUs but the FFF website lists ZD at 50 IBU. Was this discussed in here before? Couldn't find anything.

Actualy versus theoretical can differ by quite a bit.. It also would depend onthe %AAU of the hops used.

Try this. I've changed the yeast to Conan but everything else should be right.

http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/576319/zombie-dust-clone-hbt

EDIT: Just noticed that for some reason the 1.25oz hops are being shown as 1.2oz. I have it entered as 35g, which comes to 1.23459oz, so maybe BeersmithRecipes.com rounds those sort of values... Either way, just use 1.25oz instead of 1.2oz for those Citra additions.

Did a PM of this. Had some issues keeping my mash temp stable which may have something to do with over-attenuation. S-04 took this down to 1.01. It's a little hot on the end and tastes catty with big tropical fruits. Can't wait to dry hop this sucker.

Just had the first glass of our first batch of ZD. Wow, this is amazing. Our OG was 1.066 and FG is 1.014. Followed the 5 gal recipe but ended up with 4 gal in the keg. It's only been kegged for three days and not quite fully carbed but I am impressed. Thanks!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1412898526.767959.jpg
Started at a 1.054. Now at a 1.010 only 11 days into primary. Puts it at a 5.78%ABV and 81% attenuation. Gonna hold out 3 more days to dry hop for only seven days I think. Whirfloc tablet really clarified this one compared to my first attempt at this recipe where I didn't use one.

Im brewing this tomorrow on my AG Rig... I'm hearing potentially a diacetyl rest might be in order for S-04... Any truth to that?

If not, I plan on replicating the recipe...
I have relatively soft water so I should be ok if I add a little gypsum. I also plan on keeping fermentation temperature pegged at 65*F, for 2 weeks, then I plan on dumping off Trub from the conical, and dry hopping at 68-70* for a week, then keg it... Should be able to try a good sample by 5 days on the keg.

I know that Zombie Dust is not a filtered beer, any harm in doing a gelatin addition for the keg?

I just pre-ordered a pound of 2014 crop of Citra. I'll be brewing this when they arrive! Should be some POTENT, FRESH hops! :D

Came out very cloudy but taste is spot on. 6.5% abv great Citra aroma. Little more bite then my last batch. But last batch while smoother than real ZD lacked some IBUs that this has

1412980370909.jpg

Mine has been in the bottle for exactly 3 weeks, and appeared quite clear before chilling - I didn't use a whirlfloc tablet during the boil.
OG was 1.067, finishing at 1.016 after 3 weeks in the primary, and then dry hopped in secondary for 10 days with 3 oz. of whole Citra hops. ABV=6.7% and taste is delicious!

I finally got to try the real Zombie Dust at the Great American Beer Festival last weekend, and it's right on. Maybe a little more to it than what was on the keg at the fest - and definitely more aroma.

Cheers!

I'm drinking areal zd right now and this recipe is am exact clone if I had my eyes shut I wouldn't know the clone from the real thing. Bottling my second batch of this tomm. Its so good

Ok quick question I reached FG or close enough 1.015, after 7 days @65 should I cold crash and then let it warm up to dry hop or what

I just brewed mine on Saturday... Came in at 1.070 with about 5.75 gallons going to my fermenter... The smell is so damn intense and beautiful... I can't help myself. Every day I come home from work, open up my fermenting fridge and take a big whiff of the hoppy goodness emanating from there. I almost want to rig up a audio loop that sounds like angel's singing when I open the door...

Made my first home brew ever this Saturday and used this recipe. I did all grain BIAB (was never one to start out with the easiest process when jumping into a new hobby) and it went amazingly well. I was drinking real zombie dust while making it, so maybe that helped. Held perfect 152* mash temp for an hour.

If i figured my efficiency correctly, I got about 85%. I scaled down the recipe to 2.5 gallons, added about an extra 1/4 pound of the two row and double crushed the grains.

Pre boil gravity: 1.052
post boil: 1.077

Made a quick starter for the s-04 and holy moly, it was going crazy all day yesterday. Has slowed a bit but I can still see the activity in the fermenter. I plan to rack to a Brew Demon conical fermenter, for secondary, which I'll dry hop in that and bottle straight from there too.

You're gonna wish you did a five gallon batch. I did this recipe and ended up with bottling up 548 ounces of it (7 six-packs and 2 22oz bombers) after all my losses. Once it carbonated nicely in the bottle, that 548 ounces was gone in two weeks between me and my friend who helped me brew it. We'll never make that mistake again and now have two 5 gallon batches of this stuff staggered by a weeks difference in time fermenting/dry hopping in my basement. One batch I'm dry hopping now has got 3oz of Galaxy pellets and 1oz of Citra leaf. It's gonna be epic

Ive brewed this recipe 4 times now in the past 2 years and would like to say thank you to skeezer for posting it, having had the real thing at the pub and in bottles I can say it is very close, Zombie Dust is very hard to find even living less then a couple hours drive from FFF.

:ban:I took a gravity reading yesterday... Fermented at 65*F for 4 days and its at 1.018 on the dot... Took a taste test... So far so good on my end... Only small complaint is I think its lacking a little smoothness. Definitely some bitterness up front, but it smells heavenly.
I'm raising the fermentation temp to 70*F as a precautionary D-rest for the rest of this week. Sunday I'll dump off trub. Monday, I'll do another dump and then add the dry hops 6-7 days... Then its one more dump to make sure the dry hop pellets are below my top racking port, and its into the keg!

Woo hoo!

Got my six gallons that I just popped the lid off on the fermenting bucket after only 12 days in primary. Started at 1.060 and now at a 1.009. That's a 6.69 ABV and 84% Attenuation. Tastes awesome. Couple questions though. Is that "over attenuated" and will it have enough yeasties left over to play with the priming sugar to bottle condition? If not then how should I fix that?

Got my six gallons that I just popped the lid off on the fermenting bucket after only 12 days in primary. Started at 1.060 and now at a 1.009. That's a 6.69 ABV and 84% Attenuation. Tastes awesome. Couple questions though. Is that "over attenuated" and will it have enough yeasties left over to play with the priming sugar to bottle condition? If not then how should I fix that?

You'll absolutely be fine, even if you cold crash it.

Do not touch it. It'll b a little drier than the real zd as my clone was too at 1.010 but I actually preferred it, alows the hops to explode more in the nose and the taste. I now try to get all my ipa's down around 1.010 as I feel it really alows the hops to shine. My zd carbed in less than a week in bottle but was perfect at two weeks. Enjoy good luck keeping your hands off em my second batch should b ready Sunday hopefully.

Awesome. Thanks fellas. Will secondary on Saturday with dry hops. Gotta fish out my stir bar on the bottom of the fermenter. Accidentally poured it in on brewday and need it to do a starter in Saturday for a brewday on Sunday. Whoops!

Awesome. Thanks fellas. Will secondary on Saturday with dry hops. Gotta fish out my stir bar on the bottom of the fermenter. Accidentally poured it in on brewday and need it to do a starter in Saturday for a brewday on Sunday. Whoops!

Use a magnet on the outside of the carboy and slide it up

Bottled my second batch 1 week ago and tried one tonight even still a little flat it was like drinking pineapple OJ, amazing and the nose was huge. Bumped it up to 7% and with the extra 2 row the color is closer to the real thing but to me that doesnt really matter its all about the taste and smell and this looks like its gonna be another awesome batch. Should be ready to go in another week. If I could do 10gal of this I would.

I scored a bottle of the real ZD the other day here in Columbus. The store was limiting them to 1 per customer. I was so excited. However, after drinking mine for the last month, I wasn't as impressed as I was the first time I tried it. This recipe is just amazing! Just brewed my second batch yesterday!

I brewed this 3 months ago and i have two 22oz bombers left. I just cracked one open and wow its better than i remembered. its got a nice passion fruit, cirtusy aroma going on and the taste is soooo good. the bitterness has mellowed down and you get a ton of that passion fruit taste. My wife that doesnt drink at all said it smells like straight up passion fruit juice.

pisQfc1.jpg

I am still working on dialing my efficiency and was looking for something kickass to try--so I came across this thread.

Did the 6 gallon batch as noted by OP. Given the amount of hops...thought I would try and shoot for a pre-boil of 8 gallons of wort. Happy to report, I did get my 6 gallons into the bucket I was shooting for, but missed the gravity.

Was shooting for 1.065, but got 1.054 (like I said, still working on my effeciency). I also took a pre-boil reading and got 1.050?? Instead of the 11.25 of 2 row mentioned, I did round up to 12 lbs. Remaining specialty grains remained the same.

Mashed at 154/153 for 1 hour.

Followed the hop additions as noted.

I'm sure it will still come at pretty awesome, so I am happy about that. I had a taste of the pre-boil sample...nice taste..had a taste of the post-boil...wowzers...very bitter :)

I am looking forward to seeing how this all shakes out:mug:

Edit: Forgot to mention---15 mins left of boiling time and I ran out of propane! I moved inside the kitchen and tried not to skip a beat...I'm guessing this bump in the road may have contributed to me missing my OG as I didn't tack on extra time....lesson learned.

If you had 8g of 1.050 preboil and 6g of 1.054 post boil then you likely measured something wrong. 8g of 1.050 should boil down to 6g of 1.067 (8g *.050 / 6g).

I don't doubt I measured something wrong however I did measure how much went into the kettle by first measuring in the bucket. Same thing after 60 mins. Although, there was about a quarter/half gallon of trub I left out.

I certainly did not see 1.067 on my hydrometer post boil. I have second hydrometer I have not yet used. I have been having difficulty with my of nearly all batches thus far.

BTW...I milled grain fine...with some flour...and I batch sparged at 190... Stirred let it sit a few mins and run off. I'll get there one day.

Back