Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any creativity to cooking the corn? I also picked up some corn from a local farmer this morning. Haven't decided whether to soak and grill or just boil.

I usually take full ears of corn with the husk still on, and drop them in a 5 gal homer bucket full of water for about 15 minutes. Then toss them on the grill turning them every 4-5 minutes. Tons better than boiling them imho and the water is a just a quick enough soak that the corn cooks without usually burning.

I've tried direct grilling them and found them too easy to overcook if you aren't really paying attention.

Granted, I didn't cook this, but it was so damn good I had to share.

We're in Sonoma for a wedding, and went to a place called Sweet T's. Best brisket I've had at a restaurant outside Texas. They have the cojones to serve their ribs dry, and they're delicious and tender. The pulled pork was a bit dry, but two out of three ain't bad...

Sweet T's up in Fountain Grove? That's one of my favorite restaurants in the area! Their pulled pork is usually spot on, and the pulled pork nachos are a great appetizer though a bit light on the pork. Ironically for me their ribs have always been hit or miss. I've had them before when they were excellent, but last time the rub was so salty that all you tasted was hickory salt. Neither my wife nor I could eat more than 1 rib of the rack she ordered.

All in all, an excellent southern food / bbq joint worth going back to.

I like to pull the husks back and grill directly. I've dried the soak in saltwater and grill with the husks still in place, but I don't think it's nearly as good.

I usually take full ears of corn with the husk still on, and drop them in a 5 gal homer bucket full of water for about 15 minutes. Then toss them on the grill turning them every 4-5 minutes. Tons better than boiling them imho and the water is a just a quick enough soak that the corn cooks without usually burning.

I've tried direct grilling them and found them too easy to overcook if you aren't really paying attention.

So just to get some clarity on this corn thing:
Passedpawn - are you still soaking the corn before your dehusk and grill?
Jukas - are you dehusking before grilling or grilling them with the husks on?

My normal routine for corn (and I'm am not an awesome/good cook by any stretch :D) is to microwave them for a few minutes, then dehusk, oil and grill. BUt I always burn my hands and it is tough to get that sweet spot between undercooked and burnt :D

img_02747-47764.jpg

I grill them with the husks on. Sometimes when they're done I'll pull the husks back and put a little chipotle honey butter on them and then pull the husks up again for a few min to let it melt. Mostly through I just eat them grilled with no butter.

My first attempt at smoking a pork butt. Only a couple pounds, didn't want to shell out a lot just in case I totally boof it up!
I'll post more as I go along....
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408231003.655667.jpg

Sent from my BrewPhone using Home Brew, cuz I really didn't want to fire up the computer to post this.

My first attempt at smoking a pork butt. Only a couple pounds, didn't want to shell out a lot just in case I totally boof it up!
I'll post more as I go along....
View attachment 218150

Sent from my BrewPhone using Home Brew, cuz I really didn't want to fire up the computer to post this.

That looks like a boneless butt. If so, it cooks differently than the cheaper bone-in butts. The bone transfers heat and cooks the butt from the inside.

It's hard to screw up a pork butt. It's such a fatty piece of meat. Just cook to at least 190F internal and you win. I go to 200, and then only pull it when the bone will pull out easily.

You are correct sir. Boneless it is. I have read and learned a lot here. Taking it slow, trying to get the temp stabilized before I put the meat on. It's being a little finicky, I think it's because of the hickory chunks being kiln dried, and they seem to generate more heat than smoke. so I'm thinking soaking in a bit of water for a few minutes.

BnB there's no better way to get your feet wet than pork butts. You will do great and love the outcome. 225 degrees to 190 to 200. Wrap it in foil and a heavy towel and let her rest.
On the corn topic I have always pulled the silk from the ear then pulled the husk back over and soaked in water. If you are handy pull one long husk off and tie the rest of the husk snug. The charred bits are great too.

I usually grill corn Mexican street stand style, leaving the husks on and no soak. Pull the husks back after grilling to create a handle, slather with a little crema mexicana (or sour cream), roll in crumbled cotija cheese, and sprinkle with powdered chile de arbol. Sometimes I'll pull the husks back before grilling, but it's a little trickier to cook just right that way.

Thanks EHV.... Still tryin to get that internal up. Been 3 hours and only at 130. It's a little over 2-1/4 lbs, temp was running right at 230-235. Ah well as with my brews, patience is key. Just trying to keep it from drying out.

Thanks EHV.... Still tryin to get that internal up. Been 3 hours and only at 130. It's a little over 2-1/4 lbs, temp was running right at 230-235. Ah well as with my brews, patience is key. Just trying to keep it from drying out.

Don't get scared when the temps hit 160 or so, and then start going backwards. The good ol pork stall. Don't open the lid/door either! This is the time it is breaking down all that fantastic connective tissue.

This isn't the norm, but I had a smoker full of pork that stalled for 7 hours on me one time. Don't look at em, don't crank the heat, give em time :mug:

Not really. I just set up a pretty hot fire in the middle of the grill and arranged 6 ears directly above the coals. (I soaked them for a few hours before, but I'm not 100% sure that's necessary.). Then cook 10-12 minutes and rotate them 1/4 turn and repeat until each side has been directly over the coals - about 40-48 minutes total cooking time.

Ok yeah it definitely stalled, temp never seemed to get over 150, so at 230 this morning, couldn't take no more, threw it in the oven at 250 for an hour. Finally! Then wrapped it in foil, dropped it in a cooler til a few minutes ago. Sliced a bit and tasted it. Well, gotta tell ya, if it wasn't for bad choice of rub, this would have been amazing. SWMBO was very pleased with the flavor, other than the residual taste of a salt lick. Commercial rub, yeah not so much.
I think overall the biggest struggle I had was keeping the temp of the smoker up. Started with charcoal, added the hickory chunks, and it got to 250 when I put the butt on, and for a while was doing ok, but then suddenly dropped to 200 and was never able to recover, and I actually ran out of wood near the end.... 😕
Ah well, lessons learned, notes taken, what's next? Lol
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408292998.473725.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408293018.914709.jpg

Corn, silk off but I saw a post somewhere about leaving them on and cutting at the stalk and it pulls off easy/peasey! Ribs and a Butt for me last night. rub and 3hrs to 150 then foil and load up the smoker and forget about it.looks good and juicy,
Not enough motivation for my boys to stop eating and snap some food pics.
I'm ok with that choice.

Any creativity to cooking the corn? I also picked up some corn from a local farmer this morning. Haven't decided whether to soak and grill or just boil.

On the corn debate i just throw them on the grill while it is heating up, turn every few minutes and then dehusk before eating.
I have head though that if you break the corn about 1/2 inch above the stem portion that all of the silk comes off (i think this is pre-cooking though)

When I do butts (heh, I 'do' butts), they consistently takes me 16-20 hours at 225, the stall lasts me several hours and I have no issues with drying. If I am in a hurry I will wrap and throw in the oven to get past the stall which is caused by the meat sweating which keeps the temp from increasing. If you have the time, always wait until internal temp reaches about 200. It is so much more tender and shredable if you do.

dang.... that's crazy...but, noted.... thanks, John.
Well, I picked up a tri-tip yesterday, about 2-1/2lbs, and a couple no salt rubs. Now that I kinda (not really) know what I'm dealing with, I'll be more prepared.....you know, like not starting at 8pm :drunk: and I'll definitely have more wood on hand, (for tri-tip, something different maybe? Apple? or just stick ...(ha, get it? stick with wood....ok, nevermind, sounded funnier in my head....)with hickory? maybe early morning start, then go from there. If it's ready Saturday, fine, if not, we'll eat it Sunday. Either way, it'll be meat.
Thanks for all the advice and sage <snicker> wisdom guys!

dang.... that's crazy...but, noted.... thanks, John.
Well, I picked up a tri-tip yesterday, about 2-1/2lbs, and a couple no salt rubs. Now that I kinda (not really) know what I'm dealing with, I'll be more prepared.....you know, like not starting at 8pm :drunk: and I'll definitely have more wood on hand, (for tri-tip, something different maybe? Apple? or just stick ...(ha, get it? stick with wood....ok, nevermind, sounded funnier in my head....)with hickory? maybe early morning start, then go from there. If it's ready Saturday, fine, if not, we'll eat it Sunday. Either way, it'll be meat.
Thanks for all the advice and sage <snicker> wisdom guys!

Tri tip you want to do hot and fast. @250-275 until its medium rare (135) and then off the smoker and onto a fire hot grill to sear it. Wrap it, let it rest, and then slice for sammiches

All in all it will only take 3 hours or so

Tri tip you want to do hot and fast. @250-275 until its medium rare (135) and then off the smoker and onto a fire hot grill to sear it. Wrap it, let it rest, and then slice for sammiches

All in all it will only take 3 hours or so

+1

Tri-tip is too lean for low and slow... And it's tender enough not to need it. Not the MOST tender cut, but tender enough.

You CAN go lower, say 200-225, but as stated above once you hit an IT of 135, give it a sear, wrap it in foil for 30 minutes or so to rest, and you're good to go.

Well, hopefully I'll be able to get the firebox to cooperate and get the temp up to at least 250 and stay there. THAT I can work with.....
Really appreciate all the advice and encouragement guys, thanks!!!!!

Well here we go, take two. About a 2.5 lb Tri-tip. Got a nice layer of fat sitting on top and some Ol' Bourbon Trail steak rub on there. Let the smoke rise!
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408798932.088716.jpg

I think that one looks better. Less rub and less red (paprika). I learned to tone done the rub on my 2nd try. Was the other one Ol Bourbon Trail as well?

If you have to cook a few dozen my old man showed me the cooler corn method..stack your corn in a cooler..then use a turkey fryer or two to boil enough water to fill the rest of the cooler up..close the lid and let sit for an hour..done

I think that one looks better. Less rub and less red (paprika). I learned to tone done the rub on my 2nd try. Was the other one Ol Bourbon Trail as well?

Yeah definitely less. No, the other one was something I picked up at the grocery called "Ride 'em Cowgirl" or some such BS. First ingredient? SALT! Ugh. Didn't pay attention to that one. It now belongs to the cosmos lol. Ol Bourbon is a new one at Colonel De, a franchise place that does spices of all sorts. There was probably half a dozen guys there looking for different rubs for smoking different cuts of meat. The butcher I got the Tri tip from gets all his rubs from there too. Just put it on, we'll see how it goes!

So after 3 1/2 hours bouncing between 225 and 275, cherry wood, read to drop on to gas side for a good sear.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408829280.569736.jpg

I don't have any pics, disappeared too quick, but I did a 16.5 lb prime packer, and 4 shoulders (35 lbs) for a party today. It was dang near a disaster. Smoker died on me and I didn't know it, and temp stalled low for too long. But was able to get them before it was scary. OMG Ive never had pork or beef shred/pull so easily. Made fantastic tacos for a cuban themed wedding reception (family)

and yes, I took all safety precautions w/ the meat. Guinea pigged my self too :)

Yeah definitely less. No, the other one was something I picked up at the grocery called "Ride 'em Cowgirl" or some such BS. First ingredient? SALT! Ugh. Didn't pay attention to that one.

The traditional rub for Santa Maria tri tip is salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Because it gets sliced so thin, having a decent amount of salt isn't overwhelming.

Back