Quick Carb Test

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridire

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
5.0 - 5.5 ABV and 20+/- IBU beer (blonde). It has been in bottles for only about 10 days at roughly 67F. I just looked at the bottles and they all have a significant amount of yeast at the bottom.

I put one bottle in the fridge to test in 2-3 days. Possible that the amount if yeast means it is already carbonated?

EDIT: and I do understand the "3 weeks at 70F" mantra and usually follow it. But when I saw all the dormant yeast, I decided to test one bottle.

It's likely you will have some detectable level of carbonation, but not completed carbonation. Try one. If it's not ready, wait a week. If it's not ready then.....well, I'm sure you're picking up on the pattern. Regardless of the carbonation, sampling throughout the process gives you and opportunity to monitor the changes as the beer progresses. Remember, the difference between screwing around and science is writing it down!

It was fully carbed and had a nice lasting head. Tasted pretty good...but not as good as last time. I'm sticking them all in the fridge so they're ready for the 4th.

I just did the same with an IPA with at 6.3%ABV, one week and there was a layer of yeast at the bottom of the bottle and the beer was crystal clear. I put one in the fridge and it was carbed perfectly. I guess sometimes it just works out that way.

If I was serving them on the 4th, I would put them in the fridge on the 1st, thereby giving them a little more time to age and possibly taste less green.

Latest posts

Back