Two Questions About Dry Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BroStro3

Reaction score
I am getting ready to dry hop my first brew this weekend and had two questions:

1) Do you prefer to dry hop in the primary or secondary?

2) How long do you typically dry hop?

I am getting ready to dry hop my first brew this weekend and had two questions:

1) Do you prefer to dry hop in the primary or secondary?

2) How long do you typically dry hop?

I do it in primary, and normally for 1 week.

I do it in primary, and normally for 1 week.

This brings up something that I have been wondering about for a little bit now. Most experienced brewers say something along the lines of, "I don't rack to a secondary unless I want to add something after fermentation, like dry hopping." This is usually said when discussing the subject of "should I rack to a secondary." As most of us know, ten years ago racking to a secondary was just how homebrewers did things because that is how the pros do it. Today, a lot of homebrewers simply don't rack to a secondary because it isn't really necessary.

I've heard Jamil talk about this on Brew Strong, and he talked about how pro brewers like to get their beer off of the yeast because large amounts of yeast is heavily compacted at the bottom of their giant fermenters, and that can produce a lot of heat and more chances of off flavors. As homebrewers, however, we don't have that heavy compaction of large amounts of yeast in the bottom of our carboys or plastic buckets. And so, the philosophy on racking to a secondary has recently changed, and many no longer rack to a secondary... except when ingredients are added after the fermentation.

So, this brings me to my question. Why rack to a secondary at all, even for dry hopping or adding other post fermentation ingredients? Personally, and as an inexperienced homebrewer, I haven't seen any reason to yet, so I haven't bothered, even when dry hopping. I have not tasted two dry hopped beers made exactly the same, but with one that was racked to a secondary, and one that wasn't.

Sorry to derail the conversation; this is just something that has been on my mind lately. Any thoughts on why one shouldn't just dry hop in the primary?

I just dry hop in the primary (don't have a secondary, just started using that as another primary), for 1 or 2 weeks. Trying out a double dry hop right now, 1 oz for a week, pull that out, and then add another ounce for another week. Won't know how it turns out for another month, but I would assume it could only add more aroma than just 1 oz for 1 week.

I don't secondary anything anymore unless the beer is super strong and I want to age it in the carboy for some increment of time. Most all my beers are out of the ferementer and in to the keg or bottles in two weeks. I usually dryhop for 5-7 days depending on the hop type. I don't really care to leave cascades in the fermenter too long. Eveyone has their own opinions on dryhopping. Stone says they drop the temp to 62 to dryhop. I don't usually ever care.

I dry hop in secondary for anywhere from 3 days to 3 weeks depending on the beer.

The logic behind racking to a secondary to dry hop is: The hop resins will coat the yeast, and less hop resins suspended in the beer mean less hop flavor and aroma.

I've found this to be true, as I get bigger hop flavor and aroma when i secondary. With that said, I don't even bother with a Pale Ale, I just throw an ounce straight in the primary. My IPAs and IIPAs I'll rack to secondary first.

You can certainly dry hop in the primary, you'll just get more from the hops if you secondary first.

Sorry to derail the conversation; this is just something that has been on my mind lately. Any thoughts on why one shouldn't just dry hop in the primary?

some people prefer to dry hop in secondary if they're re-using the yeast so it doesnt get stuck in the cake and alter the next beers profile. if you're washing it, I don't see the need.

The logic behind racking to a secondary to dry hop is: The hop resins will coat the yeast, and less hop resins suspended in the beer mean less hop flavor and aroma.

I've found this to be true, as I get bigger hop flavor and aroma when i secondary. With that said, I don't even bother with a Pale Ale, I just throw an ounce straight in the primary. My IPAs and IIPAs I'll rack to secondary first.

You can certainly dry hop in the primary, you'll just get more from the hops if you secondary first.

This has been my experience as well.

Back