Immersion Chilling Question(s)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiskey_pickle

Reaction score
First off, Thanks for the help and grate advice over the years!....

I have quite a few years experience under me belt with both all-grain and extract brewing and have made some wonderful beers. As I browse through the posts I see a lot of people just plopping their immersion chillers in the wort and turning on the water; no movement of the chiller or water regulation.
As for myself, I have experimented with this for years and have figured out how to get 6.5 gallons of wort down to 65-70 within 10 minutes or less by regulating the water pressure and "whirl-pooling" the chiller. I guess my question is whether or not I should be "moving" the chiller while cooling? I am under the impression that the faster I get the wort to pitching temp the better, yet I have friends and have read on hear that I shouldn't be stirring while cooling. :drunk:

Any ideas?

I always stir my wort when cooling, gets it down to pitching temp A LOT faster that just sitting there staring at it...

Sounds fine. I don't like leaving my lid off of the beer between 65F-170F, as this range is pretty vulnerable to infection. That's probably unnecessary, but I've got a pump set up so I can whirlpool with the lid on.

Back