Keezer Build Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjjohns5

Reaction score
I'm about to build my keezer this week since all of the parts finally made it to my home. I am however a little nervous about cutting into the top of my chest freezer. How would I go about knowing which parts were safe to cut into? My freezer has a light bulb on the inside ceiling so I don't want to hit any lines. Anyone else have this issue? Thanks.

I know you can check for compressor lines by spreading a paste of rubbing alcohol and corn starch over the freezer and turning it on. The compressor lines will dry out the mixture creating a clear that you should avoid. As far as the light goes I don't know a sure way to find the line.

There are no coolant lines in the top. I drilled mine out with a 1 1/2' hole saw. and installed two short pieces of PVC tubing caulked in place. Just drill through the skin on the top and see if you have a wire in the way. The inside has fiberglass insulation that is easy to push out of the way. I used a long drill bit all the way through the top to tell me where to drill the holes on the inside of the lid.

I'm about to build my keezer this week since all of the parts finally made it to my home. I am however a little nervous about cutting into the top of my chest freezer. How would I go about knowing which parts were safe to cut into? My freezer has a light bulb on the inside ceiling so I don't want to hit any lines. Anyone else have this issue? Thanks.

does the inside have some plugs or screw you can remove to take it apart. I tiook my lid apart to add some thin wood as support and put everything back together. pics are in the link in my signature.

I removed the inner plastic part of the lid and found the wires.

I also recommend some kind of wood to support your tower. Sometimes the lids are thin. I put a piece of wood on the inside of the lid so if you did a cross section it would be:
tower/faucet
metal of lid
wood for support
insulation
inner plastic cover

Back