Gravity question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In relationship to what?

If you are asking if your reading is too high because your recipe stated otherwise and this was an extract batch with top off water then your gravity reading will actually be what the recipe states regardless of what you read.

It is a common occurrence to get an off reading because of the difficulty in adequately mixing the water with the wort. The only reason there may be an actual issue is if you really messed up the final volume of wort with top off water in the primary. Assuming you measured properly the recipe's OG is what you should use.

I was just curries I have a 80 shillings Scottish ale but it didn't say what it should be at so I was just wondering if its bad to it read that. Like is there a normal reading that it should be at. I'm not really worried about it seeing how its started fermenting away. I was just curries also when should I take my hydramiter readings I took one right after I put it in the bucket befor I put the lid on.

Ok cool thanks alot you've been tons of help really appreciate it.

I was just curries I have a 80 shillings Scottish ale but it didn't say what it should be at so I was just wondering if its bad to it read that. Like is there a normal reading that it should be at. I'm not really worried about it seeing how its started fermenting away. I was just curries also when should I take my hydramiter readings I took one right after I put it in the bucket befor I put the lid on.

I just made an 80 2 weeks ago the paper said my OG should be between 1048-1054. Now my first batch of beer my reading was high like yours and just like they said I think I didn't mix my top off water to Well with my wort. When I took a reading this time with my 80 I made sure to mix my top off water Well and my OG reading was spot on

After straining my wort & top off water into the FV,I stir it roughly with my paddle for 5 minutes straight. Does the job & my OG readings are within range.

O ok ya I didn't sture for that long I stured it pretty good so I thought lol. But with the reading be that high will mess up the taste or anything?

Generally no. It was high because it wasn't mixed well enough to be accurate. The action of fermentation will mix it for you.

Back