Stone 13th clone anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeantownR6

Reaction score
searched around but can't find anything. anyone know of a recipe?

was thinking of making the 11th but 13th would be better:mug::mug:

If you haven't seen it, this might help:
http://www.stonebrew.com/13th/ale/

It looks like they use Chinook in the boil and Simcoe and Centennial in a two stage dry hop.

If that's not enough for a start, you might try emailing Stone. They're usually pretty open with their recipe information (except Arrogant Bastard).

I sent them an email.

in the mean time from what i could gather from the website i put this together. i figured 11 oz of hops to their 4.5lbs per barrel.

here is what i came up with, im probably not the best at formulated recipes but i guess this can be a starting point. its also been a while since i had the 13th.

Stone 13th Clone
================================================================================
Batch Size: 5.500 gal
Boil Size: 7.750 gal
Boil Time: 1.500 hr
Yeast: WLP001
Efficiency: 70%
OG: 1.090
FG: 1.022
ABV: 8.8% (I think the fg will be lower for +9%)
Bitterness: 102.9 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 25 SRM (Morey)

Fermentables
================================================================================

15 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US Grain
6 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 120L Grain
1 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L Grain
3 lbs Amber Malt Grain
6 oz Chocolate Malt (US) Grain

Total grain: 19.750 lb

Hops

3 oz Chinook @ 90 min
1 oz Centennial @ 0
1 oz Simcoe @ 0
1 oz Simcoe 14 days dryhop
1 oz Centennial 14 days dryhop
2 oz Simcoe 7 days dryhop
2 oz Centennial 7 days dryhop

I have a feeling they're using Chinook as a flavor hop in whirlpool. The clone recipes I've seen from them almost always have a single bittering addition and then the whirlpool addition for flavor.

"We used Chinook hops in the brewhouse for bittering and flavor...."

If you want to go with a true "clone" the Simcoe and Centennial at flameout should probably just be Chinook.

Are you planning on going with the White Labs 007 (Dry English) for the yeast? That seems to be what Stone is recommending to use for clones (on the Brewing Network "Can You Brew It" Levitation and Old Guardian shows).

I guess i mis read that part, lets try.....

not sure about the yeast, i did a stone ipa clone with S05 and though it was close.

I like the hop schedule more

any comments on the grain bill?

Stone 13th Clone
================================================== ==============================
Batch Size: 5.500 gal
Boil Size: 7.750 gal
Yeast: WLP001 or WLP007
OG: 1.090
FG: 1.022
ABV: 8.8% (I think the fg will be lower for +9%)
Bitterness: 99.6 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 25 SRM (Morey)

Fermentables
================================================== ==============================

15 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US Grain
6 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 120L Grain
1 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L Grain
3 lbs Amber Malt Grain
6 oz Chocolate Malt (US) Grain

Total grain: 19.750 lb

Hops

2 oz Chinook @ 90 min
1 oz Chinook @ 20 min
1 oz Chinook @ 10 min
1 oz Chinook @ 10 min

Ok im brewing this tomorow. going to the LHBS today in a few hours.

Batch Size: 6 gal
Boil Size: 8.25 gal
Yeast: WLP007
Starter: Yes
OG: 1.095
FG: ?
ABV: +/- 9.2%
Bitterness: 99.6 IBUs
Color: 18.3 SRM

Mash 152F 60 minutes

Fermentables

18 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US Grain
3 lbs Victory Malt Grain (i don't think they have amber)
12 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L Grain
6 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 75L Grain
3 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 120L Grain
3 oz chocolate Malt

Hops

2.25 oz Chinook @ 90 min
1 oz Chinook @ 20 min
1 oz Chinook @ 10 min
1 oz Chinook @ 0 min

I am wondering if i should use a lb of corn sugar and decrease the pale malt a bit. thoughts? not sure if it goes with this style, imperial red ale. if it was an imperial IPA then i would. thoughts anyone?

I'm no exactly sure what amber map is like, but 3 lbs of Victory seems like a lot. I don't remember a lot of the toasty/biscuit flavors I get from Victory. I'd probably cut it back to 1 lb and maybe add some Munich for the other 2 lbs. Just my opinion though.

Corn sugar would help dry the beer out. It seems like you will need to either mash really low mash temp or the sugar to help it attenuate. At the same time, this isn't a terribly dry beer, so you wouldn't want too much sugar.

If you usually get good attenuation, I'd mash low and pitch a lot of yeast. If you don't usually get the attenuation you want, go with the sugar.

i subbed the victory for amber

amber - Roasted specialty malt used in some English browns, milds and old ales to add color and a biscuit taste. Intense flavour

Victory - Toasted malt that adds a "Nutty", "Biscuit", "Baking Bread" and/or toasted flavor to English ales.

Biscut Malt - Another Belgian malt, this gives a biscuit like flavor and aroma.

I guess i could reduce the victory and maybee add some biscut malt since amber says intense flavour.

im at the max in batch, 15% for victory

I usually get good attenuation, but haven't used WLP007 before. ill mash low, say 148?

Update:

I brewed this up last week, my efficiency was right but i over calculated my pre boil volume by almost 1.5 gallons so i ended up with too much wort. im getting used to my 10 gallon set up, even tho this was a 5 gallon.

anyways my og was 1.073, and today fg is 1.016. hydro sample tasted good, the color i think is gonna need to be darker. this is gonna make a great beer even if its not close. going to dryhop in 2 weeks.

i was going to dryhop in the primary, but i need it this weekend for another batch.

23 days in primary. added the 6 ounces of dryhops today in secondary. looking good!

2 more weeks to go then kegging!

img01609606018.jpg

Well here it is, i suck at beer pictures but it is clear. this beer is really good, loaded with hop goodness. i'm going to work on it some more, add some carafa III i think. i need to compare it to the real thing.

img01810007974.jpg

Latest posts

Back