Word pronunciation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brilliant Pronunciation

• Brill-yent

• Brill-i-ent

• This is the dumbest question I've ever heard.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Qhrumphf

Stay Rude, Stay Rebel, Stay SHARP
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The word is "brilliant".

The reason I ask is a friend used it in a Haiku as a two syllable word. I think it's a 3 syllable word. Perhaps it's my bias in how I've always pronounced it, but I've always heard everyone I can recall pronounce it as 3 syllables (with one very much unstressed).

Turns out both are acceptable. According to Cambridge Dictionary, his pronunciation (the two syllable) is the American English and mine (three syllable) is the British English. In British accent, three syllables is obvious. However, I still hear Americans pronounce the third.

So either prove me wrong and shut me up, or prove me right. And be honest.

How do you YOU pronounce it?

Brill-yent

OR

Brill-i-ent.

The word is "brilliant".

pu-tay-toe, pu-tah-toe.

Like this (from "The Fast Show" brilliant guy

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B12WBTFLK0Q[/ame]

or like this

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdWJpHt1Xws[/ame]

(Nice...... couldn't resist)

There is also the local variant

Brill-int

heard in some parts of Carlow

As in most things English language related, I'm going to assume the yanks have it arseways. :D As a proud Irishman, I'm certainly not in a position to cast the first stone there though.;)

I say bril-yint ( I think) but it seems to rhyme more with salient when i say it. Bri-lynt would be the closest I can write it. I guess i'll need to abstain.

Like this (from "The Fast Show" brilliant guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B12WBTFLK0Q

or like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdWJpHt1Xws

(Nice...... couldn't resist)

There is also the local variant

Brill-int

heard in some parts of Carlow

As in most things English language related, I'm going to assume the yanks have it arseways. :D As a proud Irishman, I'm certainly not in a position to cast the first stone there though.;)

I say bril-yint ( I think) but it seems to rhyme more with salient when i say it. Bri-lynt would be the closest I can write it. I guess i'll need to abstain.

Salient is another example. Sail-yent v. Say-li-ent. I use the latter.

Ya know, I would've said three, or at least two and a half, until you mentioned "salient" – I, too, say "say-li-ent," and the way I say "brilliant" isn't anywhere close. Definitely more of a "Brill yint" than a "Bri lee ent."

Freakin' English.

The li in salient is much more stressed than the i in brilliant to my ears unless intentionally annunciating everything. Subtle distinction between the two brilliant pronunciations.

I say your friend has poetic license to use it as a two-syllable word in a haiku. O-ver is a two syllable word, but we sing "O'er the land of the free."

Odd that one of the few places where the number of syllables is important is someplace where the writer is most free to disregard the number of syllables.

I say your friend has poetic license to use it as a two-syllable word in a haiku. O-ver is a two syllable word, but we sing "O'er the land of the free."

Odd that one of the few places where the number of syllables is important is someplace where the writer is most free to disregard the number of syllables.

Pretty much this.

Bril-yent, for all that matters. I'm a hick from North Texas, I'm not required to pronounce things properly.

Oh i don't care about the haiku. More that it made me curious. Language fascinates me.

Oh i don't care about the haiku. More that it made me curious. Language fascinates me.

same here. I listen to some of the guys speaking Lao and Spanish at work. one of the guys is starting to teach me little things (like 'white devil' hahahaha!!!) in Lao.:rockin:

I say it like

latest

Enthusiasm and all.

I used to always say it as 3 sih-LAH-bles. Then that darn Guinness commercial came along and I find myself being annoying and imitating them every time I say it :p

Back