What do you miss?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrewBrew08

Reaction score
First.... I have had a few, but this is the thread I can ramble on :)

So, this thread is about, what do you miss? For me, the thing I miss the most is my 08' 350z. Man, I had good times in that car. In 2010, i got married and got rid of it.
Don't get the wrong idea, it wasn't because of her, it was because i wanted her to have a new car and swapped it for a brand new Altima.

So post what you loved so much and lost. Maybe it was a car, family heirloom, or maybe it was that Elvis plate collection your Aunt had been saving all these years.

:tank:

DSC00319.jpg

The one material thing I miss most are my old hiking boots. I can't even remember the brand name, but they were big, heavy things & they always came with big, fat, red laces. They were built like tanks & lasted for years, and that was wearing them every day, not just for hiking. Those big, clunky things that were all the rage back in the 1970's; Vibram lug sole, suede uppers, padded collar, those were the best hiking boots ever made & I'd give my left nut for a brand new pair that fit. They looked a lot like these:

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=hiki...w=157&start=0&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:7,s:0,i:95

If anybody knows where I can buy a pair like this new, in size 12.5 US, please let me know.
Come to think of it, I also miss plain old Levis jeans. The kind you paid $15 for brand new. Of course that was back in the 70's as well, there were only 2 kinds of jeans then: bell bottom & not bell bottom. Dammit, they were good jeans & they wer affordable jeans & they were AMERICAN MADE. Now all we can get is crap made in Mexico for yuppies to look cool in, but they don't last & always end up with a hole in the crotch/ass in a couple of months. Used to be jeans lasted a couple of years unless you worked on a farm, then you were doing good to get a years worth out of them. Levis 501's last me about 6 months & I don't work on a farm.

Well, now that I've dated myself & spilled my guts to you, I think I'll gpo pour another drink & wallow in my material/cultural misery whilst watching The Adventures Of The Wilderness Family If you recognize that title & enjoyed it, you're my bud & I'll buy you a drink sometime. If not, piss-off & peace out.
Regards, GF.

I'd have to say I don't miss any THING but I do miss a period of my life so maybe "anywhen".

Back about 10 years ago I was competing every week as a supersport and superstock rider at the best race tracks in the UK. My only regret was running out of cash and sponsorship before getting a chance to race on the road circuits like the TT and the NW200. Now every time I go to a race meeting I'd give anything to be the guy putting those leathers on and tuning out all the distractions to line up with 29 other riders and live 20 lifetimes worth of adrenaline in that rush into turn one....

Happy days.

Being honest I miss my first deployment best time I had in the Corps.

I miss my last car...a 2001 Chevrolet Cavalier, I had that car for 5 years before someone ran me off the road and I wrecked it. If there was ever a car that I could call my baby, that was it... Did the majority of the work on it and had some great times in that beast. I put a ton of miles on that thing and it didn't give me too much trouble. Honestly, the only appropriate way for that car to have gone out would have been in a ball of fire, a true Viking type of service.

My late teens and early 20's before I cleaned up. An amphetamine/hard drug time of my life with several trips to jail and rehab centers.

Halbrust said:
You are either:
Old
Not from California
Both of the above

I do rememeber an dmiss $1.35 gas though

I get $.89 gas all the time. All I do is pay $.89 and $3.00 in taxes on every gallon :)

You are either:
Old
Not from California
Both of the above

I do rememeber an dmiss $1.35 gas though

If 41 is old, then I'm old. Not from CA, but NY, so close enough. Good times when five bucks got you half a tank of gas. Of course I was earning minimum wage...which was $3.35 at the time!

The Boats! That was always cool, run up to the torpedo room to listen as we dove, sitting on the Sonar stacks and listening to biologics and other things out there.
'course I'm a big fan of the sandwiches too!

Opening myself for some ridicule possibly but I miss Submarines.

Me too! I never thought I would, but now that I am on shore duty I just want to go back to sea. The only thing keeping me from doing it is being at sea means less time for brewing. I had a blast on my two deployments on my last boat and want to get back to it. I was west coast, but now I am on the east coast, so I hope to stay here so I can to Europe with my next boat.

mmm I miss my Dad's Hodaka 100. He let me ride it around the yard and fields when I was a kid.

I miss my 1979 YZ 250. Legendary machine and I had a clean example! Had it for years before I finally let it go. Still have the one I won a district title on in 2006 though!

Ok, I'll concede that I'm getting old... I miss $.25 a gallon gas and my '64 Dodge Dart, your first is always special.

I feel ya! Did the same thing when I got married. Has an 08 Tacoma lifted with a trd supercharger. Unfortunately she couldn't drive stick and living DT Seattle so my 8 mpg wasn't practical.

Walshy87 said:
I feel ya! Did the same thing when I got married. Has an 08 Tacoma lifted with a trd supercharger. Unfortunately she couldn't drive stick and living DT Seattle so my 8 mpg wasn't practical.

Yeah, mine was a standard too. Could she drive it? No, but if she could who the hell cares? She wouldnt of driven my car :)

She has that, " If you can't find it, grind it" personality lol

Sex in my early 20's. It was abundent then.

Not having a mortgage and yard work to deal with.

1979 CB450. All stock. Paid $400 for it. Sold it for $100 with a broken shift pin.

Me too! I never thought I would, but now that I am on shore duty I just want to go back to sea. The only thing keeping me from doing it is being at sea means less time for brewing. I had a blast on my two deployments on my last boat and want to get back to it. I was west coast, but now I am on the east coast, so I hope to stay here so I can to Europe with my next boat.

I was a Boomer Boat Sailor for my entire career. Started out as an FTB and was converted to MT. I sailed the 618, 641, 658 and then back to the 641.

I wish I hadn't sold my YFZ450LE race quad. The time will come when I also wish I hadn't sold my Wrangler. In both instances I needed the money and the space they took up. Maybe one day I'll have extra space and money too. I miss my dad.

Subsailor said:
I was a Boomer Boat Sailor for my entire career. Started out as an FTB and was converted to MT. I sailed the 618, 641, 658 and then back to the 641.

I'm a nuke, ELT type. Don't worry, I won't hold being a coner against you. ;) I've only been on one boat so far. The USS Texas (SSN 775).

My pre-40s eyesight. It's been a few years now and I still haven't adjusted to using readers.

Pasta. I miss pasta.

I went wheat-free a couple of years ago, and then low-carb so that I don't eat bread, pasta, rice, corn, etc. Oh, once in a great while I"ll have a little bit, but no wheat as a rule. So I miss pasta.

Pasta with marinara sauce specifically. But I miss lasagna, penne, egg noodles, and gnocchi too.

Pasta. I miss pasta.

I went wheat-free a couple of years ago, and then low-carb so that I don't eat bread, pasta, rice, corn, etc. Oh, once in a great while I"ll have a little bit, but no wheat as a rule. So I miss pasta.

Pasta with marinara sauce specifically. But I miss lasagna, penne, egg noodles, and gnocchi too.

I feel for you Yooper, been half italian pasta is a pretty big thing for me. My doctor will only take pasta away from my dead cold hands

My endurance, used to do century bicycle rides, and one other thing.

Not being able to read without glasses is annoying, but I've worn them for distance for 53 years.

Yooper - you can make a really fine lasagna using spaghetti squash instead of pasta.

Back