Maple Sugar for maple flavored beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TLProulx

Reaction score
Does anyone ever tried using maple sugar instead of maple syrup for making maple flavored beer?

My maple products supplier suggested me to use maple sugar because it was least costly than syrup. 1 uk gallon of syrup is around 45$ and 1 kg of sugar is around 15-20$. The sugar is syrup boiled until no water is left then it's grind in small granule.

Does anyone ever tried using maple sugar instead of maple syrup for making maple flavored beer?

My maple products supplier suggested me to use maple sugar because it was least costly than syrup. 1 uk gallon of syrup is around 45$ and 1 kg of sugar is around 15-20$. The sugar is syrup boiled until no water is left then it's grind in small granule.

What I really want to know is the conversion factor of maple syrup to granule and when should I add it to the beer (boiling or secondary).

I read somewhere that the maple syrup specific gravity was around 1.32 to 1.37. Maybe I could add maple sugar to water until the S.G. of the sweeten water reach 1.32; thus making some kind of maple flavored sweet water.

$45 is darn good for 1 Imperial gallon of syrup. Best I did was $56 when I was in Montreal.

Maple sugar should work fine. You'll have to make sure that it's granulated fine enough for the yeast to get to it. OR, you could boil it with a bit of water until it's soluble.

You'll probably get more flavor from sugar than from syrup.

I recently used 2 cans (19oz each) into 4-gallons(US) of stout. It adds a slight maple flavor, but not that much. I might bump it up to 3 cans for 4-gallons next time.

M_C

Back