Temp Control in Warm Room

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mchlhgn1

Reaction score
Hello,

I am trying to work on controlling my temp during the fermentation process. The best room I have is the same room with my Heating and AC unit. During the Spring, Summer, and early fall the temp is great in there, but this time of year it gets into the high 70s and low 80s in that room.

Anyone have any ideas on lowering the temperature without having to purchase a Fridge just to ferment?

Thanks.
Michael

I put mine in a bucket and dump some water with ice in it. Once it gets down to the temp. I am seeking I just occasionally dump more ice in but usually when it's in a water bath the temp will remain relatively constant. I know some get ice packs and interchange them when they get warm.

You can also wrap a towel or old shirt around the carboy so it stays wet - the evaporation will keep the carboy much cooler than ambient since the evaporation process takes energy (an old bicycling trick converted to homebrewing, except in cycling you put your water bottle in a wet sock and it keeps it cool.)

B

The next question is how constant does the temp stay in a water bath? With work I will not be able to be around it for 10+ hours during the day.

The next question is how constant does the temp stay in a water bath? With work I will not be able to be around it for 10+ hours during the day.

You will not have a problem. It takes a lot of energy to change the temp of water. Get it into the 60's and 10 hours in an 80 degree room won't change it much.

What I do at times is put the carboy into a water bath in a laundry sink then slowly drip water from the tap into the bucket. I know, I know, not environmentally sound, but I do it rarely, but this could work if you're away for a day or so.

B

Latest posts

Back