1 of 2 First Brews, Hard Cider, Cran-Apple

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tank55

Reaction score
1 of 2 First Brews, Hard Cider, Cran-Apple

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: 1 pack Lalvin D-47
Yeast Starter: 1 teaspoon nutrient
Batch Size (Gallons): 1
Original Gravity: n/a
Final Gravity: n/a
IBU: n/a
Boiling Time (Minutes): n/a
Color: Dark Brown/ Purple
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): n/a
Additional Fermentation: n/a
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): n/a
Tasting Notes: No Taste yet, but smells yummy

Decided to try my hand at homebrewing. Yesterday I started 2 batches of hard cider. I didn't take any initial reading because my hydrometer is still in the mail. In one gallon I started a Cran-apple hard cider and this is what I used/did..

-I got 2 bottles of Ocean Spray Cran-Apple Juice, 2 pounds of light-brown sugar, and some apple pie spice.
-I poured 1 bottle of cran-apple juice into a pot on the stove and heated it to just before boil.
-I added 4 cups of the light brown sugar and a few dashes of the apple pie spice and stirred until it was all dissolved.
-I let this cool to room temp, then added it to a sanitized 1 gallon glass jug.
-I added 1 teaspoon of yeast nutrient and gave the jug a few gentle shakes.
-I let this sit for about 12 hours.
-After letting it sit, I poured some of the juice/sugar/nutrient mixture into a sanitized bowl and added 1 pack of Lalvin D-47 then covered the bowl.
-I let the yeast get started for a few hours while I was in the gym.
-When I came back I added the yeast mixture to the gallon jug and gently swirled the jug a few times.
-I put the cork and airlock on it

I can see some action in the airlock. Any tips, tricks, ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm not sure how long to let this ferment. I figured anywhere from 2-3 weeks in the primary because of my sugar content, but I'm not sure.

Happy Brewing!

That's a lot of sugar for a 1g batch. It will be dry like wine - hopefully that's how you want it! Oh, and high in ABV%. Let us konw how it turns out. It will cloud and bubble for probably 3 weeks or so. The longer you can age it the better.

I will let you know how it turns out, I'm still in the trial and error stage of noob brewing. Just trying things out. I have another batch going, the same ocean spray cran apple juice, just no brown sugar added. All I did was add the same D-47 yeast, 1 tsp nutrient, the dash of apple pie spice and airlocked it. I wanted to see the difference in taste.

Latest posts

Back