Brutus mash tee clogging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schristian619

Reaction score
I've been having issues with the garden hose disconnect getting clogged with grain pieces during the initial pass through. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm using brass disconnects from the garden section of HD. Should I use something else? Ideas? In the meantime, I have replaced the tee with a direct disconnect to the pump. It works fine with single infusion mashes, but I don't trust that set up for step mashing.

Seems to me that garden hose disconnects would have a much larger opening than most other disconnects being used for brewing, so your problem is likely with your false bottom letting too much grain get by.

I can try to take some pics when I get home. Its a blichmann boilermaker with their false bottom. Looking at the garden hose disconnect, there is actually very little space for the liquid to pass through. I've not had any issues with bypassing the tee and using the mcmaster disconnects, but the garden hose ones seem to clog easier. It's only the initial pass through that has any issues. What disconnects are you using?

Back