OxiClean Pressure Mishap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fergusmj

Reaction score
So.....This is about OxiClean so I thought I would post here. Feel free to move if needed.

OxiClean is amazing to clean stuff, but it does create a good amount of pressure. I was going to clean my coffee thermos last night and thought I would OxiClean / Hot water it. I then put the lid on and shook to mix it up. A few minutes later, I am putting my dogs on a leash to take them for a walk and I hear a "BOOM!!!!". Walk into the kitchen to see what happened and I notice a foam coming out of the top of my thermos. I start wiping it up and notice a small chunk of something white. I first think... hmmm, chunky oxiclean. I then proceed to look up and notice the full result of OxiClean and hot water in a sealed container:drunk:

Obviously this was a brain fart on my behalf. I was thinking the results would be the same as water and soap...but no.

So word of warning.....OxiClean creates pressure!!!:cross:

The thermos is sparkling clean though and still works

ceiling.jpg

thermos.jpg

oxyclean + water = hydrogen peroxide

hydrogen peroxide, even on its own, decomposes over time into oxygen gas and water.

gas generation + sealed container = hole in your ceiling!

Yes, the thermos is clean as a whistle on the inside. Before the soak, it was almost like a rust on the inside there was so much coffee build up.

I now know about hydrogen peroxide

Same thing happend to me with PBW in a keg I didnt realize there was pressure and I opened it up spraying PBW in my eyes. I was rushed to the hospital and they flushed out my eyes for 30 min with suction cups directly on my eyeballs. I burnt my corneas but had a full recovery........I allways wear safety goggle now.....I was friggen lucky

Latest posts

Back