So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed 5 gallons of Maibock yesterday, and I'm brewing another 5 gallons of Schwarzbier tomorrow.
Yesterday was brutal! I brew BIAB over a 65K BTU banjo burner in my garage - here in AZ it was 104° outside and hotter than that in my garage while I was brewing.
I couldn't drink enough Homebrew to compensate - it was just plain brutal!

Mash on..getting ready to recirculate and turn in the pump. Flow is going backwards…😡 You Dummy!!

Fixed…cleaned up the mess…but now it’s dripping. Tighten the tri-clamp, better but still dripping…😤

IMG_8344.jpeg

Well….crud. That’s okay! I’ve got extra parts for this very reason and I know I’ve got an extra o-ring so No Problem!!!

Right…😖 so one of these things is not like the other….

IMG_8345.jpeg

Slightly smaller…definitely thinner. No way I trust this thing. Doing it all the hard way now…lifting the damn Anvil up onto the freezer later today so I can transfer to fermenter is major for the suck. 💩

Completely my fault I should mention. I ordered this part SOOOO long ago, that I can't recall where from. I've noticed after going through all my spare parts for the 2nd time, that every other spare o-ring that I have for Blichmann stuff is branded with a Blichmann sticker. The replacement o-ring above was not.

I also noticed an ever so slight tear in the original one a couple of brew days back and thought to myself...eh, it should be fine and has held for a couple more. Today it finally decided to give. Had I tested everything last night w/water, which isn't something that I normally do, maybe this could have been avoided. Ah well...too bad it is 0733 in the morning, which means it is a little too early in the day to do the latter of RDWHAHB

Just finished cleanup on yet another pressure fermented lager, that should be called Rat Race Lager. Had to keg up a cream ale that was in the fermzilla that I wanted to use for this, didn't have a clean keg, got that done, almost froze it on the freezer side of ferment fridge, decided to do a step mash because why not I have nothing else to do today, and everything kinda snowballed. Also my wonderful dog ate most of one of my brand new earbuds (found the guts on the floor) that I am pretty sure someone who is not me left out of the case because that someone could not find their own brand new earbuds, but isn't admitting to it yet. So let's add domestic strife to the day as well.

I felt like brewing yesterday, so dug into my leftover grains and hops and found enough to put together an ordinary bitter recipe. Mostly Crisp Best Ale with a touch of crystal 60 and a bit of wheat. Fuggle hops with a pinch of Hallertau Mittelfruh (spelling?) in the last 10 minute. I always have packets of SafAle S-04 on hand.

Don't really need more beer right now, but had a window to brew that won't be open again for at least 3 weeks, so I figured what the hell. American strong ale heavily hopped (by my standards) with simcoe and mosaic. Was kind of a "use up some hops" beer, but with the high alphas, I really didn't burn through too much...

Brewed on Sunday (second beer in under 2 weeks, I'd kicked both in my kegerator).
This week it was a Motueka hopped Saison, which is about 20 hours into fermentation and is just about the best smelling thing I've ever made.
I really dig Motueka ... the SMASH Pils I made was the best beer of the summer so far

Cameroni said, "I felt like brewing yesterday, so dug into my leftover grains and hops and found enough to put together an ordinary bitter recipe. Mostly Crisp Best Ale with a touch of crystal 60 and a bit of wheat. Fuggle hops with a pinch of Hallertau Mittelfruh (spelling?) in the last 10 minute. I always have packets of SafAle S-04 on hand."

That's the great thing about always having yeast on hand.

Cameroni said, "I felt like brewing yesterday, so dug into my leftover grains and hops and found enough to put together an ordinary bitter recipe. Mostly Crisp Best Ale with a touch of crystal 60 and a bit of wheat. Fuggle hops with a pinch of Hallertau Mittelfruh (spelling?) in the last 10 minute. I always have packets of SafAle S-04 on hand."

That's the great thing about always having yeast on hand.
I've become a complete dry yeast convert in the last year or so for this exact reason. I always have dry options for maybe half a dozen styles handy at any time: S-04, Notty, Verdant, German Pilsner, Belgian Tripel and a Kveik, so I can brew what I want when I want.

Just need to find a good dry Hefe strain.

I've become a complete dry yeast convert in the last year or so for this exact reason. I always have dry options for maybe half a dozen styles handy at any time: S-04, Notty, Verdant, German Pilsner, Belgian Tripel and a Kveik, so I can brew what I want when I want.

Just need to find a good dry Hefe strain.
I use dry yeast for everything, except hefeweizen. I have made some great ones with Lallemand Munich Classic, but I found it to be hit or miss for reasons I haven’t been able to figure out. I’d still recommend it as the first thing to try.

I use dry yeast for everything, except hefeweizen. I have made some great ones with Lallemand Munich Classic, but I found it to be hit or miss for reasons I haven’t been able to figure out. I’d still recommend it as the first thing to try.
It's funny you say that. I've used Munich Classic with great success, but the Hefe I brewed a few days ago seems to be off to a rough start. We'll see how it turns out...

I pretty much only use dry yeast because it is GF.

Also, brewing up a gluten free IPA with Strata & Citra today. I always step mash, but gonna change up the temps to see if I can get away with not cereal cooking the teff.

Last edited:
Set to brew on Thursday with a local brewpub that co-sponsors a medium/small sized (200 or so entries) annual home brew competition.

The winner gets to brew their beer with the brewery, which they later sell in their restaurant and pub. This is the second time I’ve won Best of Show, and the last time I was lucky enough to brew with the pro’s it was a blast. Looking forward to this one as well.

I have been invited by the head brewer of a nearby brewery to do a pro/am with him this fall. I had often brought in homebrews to get his feedback and he really enjoyed the Grodziskie I made last year. He wants to do a batch of it--15 Bbls! But he said 3% beers wouldn't sell well and wants to bump up the ABV.

I'm stoked--I've never worked in a brewery, so looking forward to spending a day learning a little of the process.

This Friday I plan to brew a test batch at home. I'll be shooting for an ABV of around 5%, which is way above the traditional. So, "Imperial Grodziskie."

Weyermann smoked wheat, a little acid malt for pH adjustment, Czech Saaz, and pitching US-05. I thought about getting some Lallemand Koln, but the brewer said he liked it with the Chico, so US-05 again.

I let the pipeline get too low, so this week has been a lot of brewing. Did a PF lager last Saturday that finished quick, a Citra/Sabro NEIPA on Tuesday that got dry hopped yesterday, a Hefeweizen last night with some yeast from a fellow homebrewclub member, and today (my birthday) brewing up yet another batch of PF lager. Also 'fixed' a cream ale from 2 weeks ago that was set to be dumped; krausened it for a few days, and now it's drinkable. So my kegerator will be full again!

Sadly, I'm dumping a recent batch of a gluten free NEIPA. I tried using quinoa in the grist and the beer smells and tastes of nothing but quinoa. I don't think age is going to help, so it's a dumper.

To replenish my stash, I'm brewing another NEIPA to replace it:

4L Rice
Oat Malt
Ivory Teff
Flaked Oats
Caramillet

Ekuanot, Citra, Mosaic & Warrior

Verdant

Brewed the "Imperial Grodziskie" today, BIAB. Undershot my OG number by 3 points, but if it attenuates to 1.010 or so it'll still be just under 5%--about where I want it. I probably should've tightened the roller gaps a bit for that wheat, though the crush looked good.

Have 5.5 gallons in the fermenter, in the chamber set at 63F. I'll let it ferment out, cold-crash a few days and bottle.

7/29/23

I just joined your distinguished organization not as a homebrewer, but as a guy who wants to give away two Ziploc bags each containing a few ounces of cascade hops. One was picked last week, the other has been in our freezer for a year. I’d be happy to parcel ship them to anyone interested with a valid street or if USPS, P.O. Box.

How could your entire organization see this offer? But should you want them, they’re yours.

If you have any questions, please ask. I’d appreciate any assistance in making this happen. I thank you in advance for your assistance.

Lonen

Back