So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not quite the weekend but, close enough. Brewing an Irish Red at the city house. 1st runnings sample.
D3C67323-84C7-4FFE-BD42-C258CEEE7E22.jpeg

Forgot to take pics, but did an English porter yesterday. The last "official" porter variant that I had yet to brew (my American porter is one of my favorite recipes). Still fighting efficiency issues, but I accounted for that, so I hit my modified target numbers pretty much right on. It was already raging after ~7 hours (didn't check on it before that).

I brewed Saturday, a lovely cream ale. Hit my numbers and then tossed a massive overpitch from the harvested 2565 from my recent Kölsch brew day a couple weeks ago. Pitched it around noon and was bubbling by 5 that afternoon. Down from 1.045 to 1.019 currently. I'd say the yeast is healthy

2nd step of the mash going on a Strata Pale Ale for an upcoming competition. Only the second time trying the step mash method, it's actually going quite well.
I'm currently doing my first step mash ever! Kolsch! Second step for me, as well. Off from work means impromptu brew day!

Wheatwine
1.100/75IBU
58% Red Wheat Malt
25% Golden Promise
4% Baird's C35
4% Torrified Wheat
8% DIY Invert #2
FWH 1oz Mittlefruh 25IBU
90m Cluster 25IBU
30m 2oz Mittlefruh 25IBU
WLP066

Well, efficiency was far from what I estimated with this being my first batch with such a high wheat percentage. All good, I had been toying with dropping it down to 1.085 anyway. Glad I didn't, as that's where I ended up. IBUs adjusted when I saw the pre-boil gravity.

Early in the week I pitched a 3 months past best by date WLP066 into a 500ml Shaken-Not-Stirred-Starter. When it was fully fermented I poured off the liquid and poured in another 500ml of fresh wort. Let that get ripping, then added another 500ml fresh wort to it. Pitched the whole 1000ml at high krausen into the main batch last night at 8p, there was an inch of foam when I woke up at 5a. Now I've got what's got to be the most interesting krausen I've seen yet. This is before any rousing or cropping.

20230701_131536.jpg

Well, efficiency was far from what I estimated with this being my first batch with such a high wheat percentage. All good, I had been toying with dropping it down to 1.085 anyway. Glad I didn't, as that's where I ended up. IBUs adjusted when I saw the pre-boil gravity.

Early in the week I pitched a 3 months past best by date WLP066 into a 500ml Shaken-Not-Stirred-Starter. When it was fully fermented I poured off the liquid and poured in another 500ml of fresh wort. Let that get ripping, then added another 500ml fresh wort to it. Pitched the whole 1000ml at high krausen into the main batch last night at 8p, there was an inch of foam when I woke up at 5a. Now I've got what's got to be the most interesting krausen I've seen yet. This is before any rousing or cropping.

View attachment 823798
Are you sure that's not a big pot of Mac 'N' Cheese???
Doing my yearly batch of cider, but with an ale yeast to see if I can get a less than bone dry result.

Just mashed in on an American pale ale. Haven't decided on hops yet...

Edit: Strata and Cardinal. They smell fantastic. It'll be interesting to see how this turns out.

Glad to see I'm not the only one brewing on the 4th of July! Now to come up with a clever name that commemorates the occasion without being pukey.

For a guy that enjoys 2.5 gal batches, I have also been enjoying making some 10 gal batches (11 gal wort) with the 15 gal kettle I picked up last year (BIAB with a sparge). This is my second batch with my Tilt hydrometers and the first batch with the new Norther Brewer fermenters...new toys!. I am curious how these Kveik strains will compare to others. My partner picked them up recently from a homebrew shop in Norway. The beer was a SMaSH with Murphy & Rude Pale and a bit of Centennial to make a Blonde-ish beer. OG was 1.045. The plan is to take a the beers to MASHOUT (Mid-Atlantic States Homebrew campOUT).

IMG_4697.JPGIMG_4701.JPGIMG_4703.JPGIMG_4704.JPG

I'll be brewing this week, just not sure of the day. Busy week; new furnace and AC today but I got grain weighed out.

I went through my left over grains and I see I can brew an amber type beer. For the last year I have been going through my left overs so I'm not having so many small bags around.

I'll be brewing this week, just not sure of the day. Busy week; new furnace and AC today but I got grain weighed out.

I went through my left over grains and I see I can brew an amber type beer. For the last year I have been going through my left overs so I'm not having so many small bags around.
I hear you. My latest LMA (lawn mower ale) is leftover 2-row and whatever hops I have in the beer fridge crisper.

Pseudo-New Zealand lager (hopefully) on Sunday. 6 lbs Pilsner, .75 Munich II, .25 lbs Carahell, 1 oz each Magnum, Rakau, Motueka. Lutra yeast. Will be crossing my fingers again; the Kveik IPAs that I brewed earlier in the spring / summer turned out well.

Thought I had until the 29th for the next competition, but they pushed the entry deadline up to the 20th. Leaving me to scramble this weekend to get the last two entries (a PF lager and house NEIPA) done this weekend. In my ongoing quest to figure out what has screwed up my last few beers (nasty tangy flavor that is probably acetaldehyde) have narrowed the culprit down to none other than too much yeast nutrient. I've been hitting my beers with 3tsp fermax; last NEIPA has a slight metallic flavor, and the yeast really didn't finish out right. This was fresh Imperial Loki that has never done me wrong, and the increased nutrient was the only change from previous excellent batches. Tiny brain apparently thought more is better, boy was I wrong. Lager is on the boil now, when it's done I have to keg the Strata Pale currently crashing to make room in the ferment fridge. Busy gal.

Mashed and brewed an Octoberfest today, running lobster pots in the morning, but the forecast had me order some grain to be delivered today, Sunday I'm brewing a session Saison..

Attachments

• 20230714_111145.jpg
    20230714_111145.jpg
    762.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230714_112308.jpg
    20230714_112308.jpg
    678.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230714_130533.jpg
    20230714_130533.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230714_130206.jpg
    20230714_130206.jpg
    847.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230714_152846.jpg
    20230714_152846.jpg
    885.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230714_152838.jpg
    20230714_152838.jpg
    886.4 KB · Views: 0
I finally got to brew yesterday and this morning as I type I can hear it bubbling. Still a little cleanup to do and haul the spent grain and kettle crap to the woods. Over all a great brew day. The recipe was an amber, using grains left over from other recipes, clearing out storage items.

Brewing up a batch of the House Cream Ale this morning, and tomorrow trying my hand at a small batch of wee heavy for an upcoming club mini-competition. Only requirement (we do an Iron Brewer thing) was peated malt, might have overreached myself but it will be fun.

Back