Adding more juice to the primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawnasty0o

Reaction score
I pitched my redstar cote de blanc 5 days ago. I have just about a half full 6.5 gallon carboy, in a dark bathroom, thermostat set on 73f and its bubbling every 1.5 seconds approx. I juiced 14ish pounds of apples (Rome, Granny smith and red delicious) added 5 of the 1.5 L martellinis unfiltered and a pound of dark brown sugar. It smells good, awfully clouded, and driving me crazy because I really want to add more juice. Is this a bad idea? I understand the risk of adding oxygen, but I would like to make the most of this batch. I could buy another Carboy and rack onto more juice? What would you do if you were in my shoes?

You don't need to buy another carboy, unless you want to ;) . Just sanitize a funnel and attach tubing to the bottom so that it reaches below the surface of your cider and pour in more juice. Alternatively just rack out of each smaller juice container into your carboy.

No problem adding more juice. That's fine.

It's much later in fermentation when you want to avoid oxygen. At that point, during secondary, you want no headspace. So you'd either need a smaller carboy or more cider to top up with anyway!

No problem adding more juice. I've used Walmart's with good success. It never hurts to have more carboys, but you can just carefully pour it into your current one. During your vigorous primary ferment it is ok to have all of that head space. You will want to have minimal head space in subsequent rackings.

You will have higher abv and more apple flavor if you add 4 or 5 cans of AJ concentrate as well as regular juice.

Perfect! I was hoping I could add to it. The wife and I both love cider so I think I'm going to buy more carboys today as well. Thank you for the quick response, you guys kick ass

Back