OK already! (rant)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berlbrew

Reaction score
I just need to get this out there. All these HBT debates, bottle vs. keg, secondary vs. none, etc...

People, if you have a stance on the issue, then that's wonderful. But please, don't preach, don't try to convert me to your ways. If I start a thread called "I love using a secondary" don't reply to me with "Secondary is just another risk for infection." Here's the point- we are all here for the same thing! We all love brewing and just want to make our beer better. We can disagree, disagreeing is how progress is made.

Thank you.

Wait, so I can disagree with you but I'm not allowed to post about it? What's the point of the forum if it's all a bunch of lemmings?

SZMZM42.jpg

I just need to get this out there. All these HBT debates, bottle vs. keg, secondary vs. none, etc...

People, if you have a stance on the issue, then that's wonderful. But please, don't preach, don't try to convert me to your ways. If I start a thread called "I love using a secondary" don't reply to me with "Secondary is just another risk for infection." Here's the point- we are all here for the same thing! We all love brewing and just want to make our beer better. We can disagree, disagreeing is how progress is made.

Thank you.

I bet you even use finings, too.

Alright, we won't try to convert you. But we will still put the information out there repeatedly for the other 99% of the people who are willing to try new things, might have never heard of a specific technique, or are looking for a way to save time. :)

Alright, we won't try to convert you. But we will still put the information out there repeatedly for the other 99% of the people who are willing to try new things, might have never heard of a specific technique, or are looking for a way to save time. :)

+1, or people who are too timid to post. There are a LOT of people out there that will never post, either out of shyness or pride.

Yep it helps for a thread based on a certain topic to contain as muhc information on the topic as possible. that way when good people use the search feature and your thread comes up it's not just a person saying "Woohoo, I love secondaries".

And what is the point of your posts if you don't want people responding? Please quit spamming the board with response-less threads.

The one who's opinion matters the most is SWMBO. She's the one I drink the most with. If my friends don't like my beer, then screw 'em. Let them go get a Bud Lite (aka. Cat Piss) and let them drink that. My wife and I will drink my beer the way I make it with or without a secondary. I brew the way that works best for me and I drink the beer I like.

Not to mention posting just provides another risk for infection. I don't know whats on your keyboard, but unfortunately I know what's on mine. And if one person can have the much bacteria, just imagine how much is in the millions of children all in my keyboard! :D

Thank you.

Hold on a minute, now...either I'm just daft, or that makes absolutely NO f*cking sense whatsoever. First you say "if you disagree with me, don't try to change my mind!", but then you talk about how progress is made through disagreement, and that we all just want to make our beer better.

Don't you see how at odds those two statements are? If you want your beer to be better, then why is it so bad that people 'preach' to you?

What if you started a thread called "I like taking a dump in my secondary!"...could we try to convert you to a non-turd brewing process, or would that be too "preachy" of us?

Of course there are topics of debate around here where multiple ways work quite well...but there are also topics of debate where there is one clearly better method. If I feel like my method is clearly better, and will result in better beer, then why would you wish to censor me from informing you of this? That runs directly counter to your supposed wish to make better beer. :rolleyes:

This is what I think of your rant. :D

You know what really gets my goat? When someone preaches to me about my preaching, or disagrees with me about my disagreement with them.

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. :p

No, he knows, He's just wrong. If he looks above, he'll see where I said I was right. Which means he can't be right.

DB, Don't sell your secondaries, that's wrong. You're not doing it right. Did you even read the original post? Jeesh :rolleyes:

Some people just have a very limited worldview and must disagree with anyone that does not share it. In politics, they are called Republicans. In brewing, they make IPAs.

Anyone who thinks secondaries are a waste... are wastes themselves.

I rack everything to secondaries... to the point where I have run out of carboys... EASY solution though... I just wait until I have a big family cookout and splurge for Bud kegs so all of my rookie family members don't drink all of my "dark" beer and then I just don't return the kegs. They make great secondaries. The only thing I don't like about sanke secondaries is that the air lock almost NEVER seems to bubble so I don't know if I'm done fermenting or not.

Ehhh... they're probably infected.

I never try to preach to anyone.

Except maybe a little when I tell them stupid #$$% moronic $#@%wads to start using the $^&&*( space bar when talking about ####^^ Barley Wine!

It's BARLEY WINE you stupid $%**& morons! There is a Fr#%%&ng SPACE!!! If I see ANY stupid m5547erf**55g a$$h*^le joining those two words again, I swear, I'll come round there and **** their goat until **** is pouring from it's ***** and it *****s it's **** until it goes f******* blind!!!!

But I'm not preachy about it.

Except maybe a little when I tell them stupid #$$% moronic $#@%wads to start using the $^&&*( space bar when talking about ####^^ Barley Wine!

It's BARLEY WINE you stupid $%**& morons! There is a Fr#%%&ng SPACE!!! If I see ANY stupid m5547erf**55g a$$h*^le joining those two words again, I swear, I'll come round there and **** their goat until **** is pouring from it's ***** and it *****s it's **** until it goes f******* blind!!!!

Ahem, The BJCP styleguidelines list it as one word. BJCP 2008 Style Guidelines - Category 19. Not saying that you are wrong, more along the lines that I am right. :D

Also to be technical, commercial brewers in the US cannot legally call it a Barleywine or Barley wine. It's a Barleywine style ale.

Ahem, The BJCP styleguidelines list it as one word. BJCP 2008 Style Guidelines - Category 19. Not saying that you are wrong, more along the lines that I am right. :D

Also to be technical, commercial brewers in the US cannot legally call it a Barleywine or Barley wine. It's a Barleywine style ale.

BJCP don't know their ass from their elbow then. I bet they even use the word "Color" ;)

The light bulb was invented in America. Otherwise I would go around calling it a lightbulb just for the hell of it. :)

You've got a long road ahead of you if that's the cause you choose:

BJCP 2008 Style Guidelines - Category 19
Barley wine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sierra Nevada Bigfoot
Olde School Barleywine | Dogfish Head Craft Brewed Ales
Anchor Steam - Old Foghorn
Smuttynose Barleywine Ale

:tank::tank::mug:

Bring it! :)

You expect ME to give you a well considered argument based on logic, historical accuracy and plain common sense? :D

Just send me your goat and I'll **** some freaking logic into this argument.

• Kegs
  • Bleach & Water
  • Aluminum
  • Indoor Brewing (w/propane)
  • IC
  • Gravity & Racking Cane
  • Secondary - always
  • Tertiary - sometimes
  • Force Carb - No Shake
  • Force Carb 30X48
  • Dry
  • Keep your O2 Stone