Danstar Nottingham

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple of years ago I used Notty as my 'go to' dry yeast. However, I haven't used it since they had some quality control problems and caused several bad batches of beer. Not just for me, but I'm sure a search on here will find that were at least two distinct times that their product failed within a year. Got pulled off the shelves of some the popular stores on here. So, instead of acknowledging the issue, they simply redesigned the packaging, while raising the price. Hey, companies can have problems, just like people. So, I hope they got their crap together and fixed the problems because it is/was a kick arse yeast. However, after dumping two 5 gallon batches (with all the money and time that went into them), I've written them off. From the threads on the forum I'd say they are back and running fine though.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/nottingham-yeast-128940/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/new-bad-lot-nottingham-yeast-189787/

I used it regularly last winter when my basement dropped down to the upper 50's. I use dry yeast exclusively and find that Notty works great from 55-62 or so. Above that I switch to either US-05 or S-04, depending on the beer I am brewing.

I used to use it often, then I got a bad batch. They replaced the yeast, and it's still in my fridge.

The real advantage used to be the price- it was about half the price of s05 and S04. But when they redid the packaging, they doubled the price so I haven't bought it.

It's really clean at under 60 degrees, and makes a lager-like beer at that temp. Above 68, though, it starts getting weirdly fruity and at 72 degrees or above it gets positively foul. So it's a good yeast if you want a super clean beer in a cool ale fermenting temperature. I've found better yeast in the last few years, though, that is cheaper (or at least, the same price).

Notty is quick to start and finish. I would echo the temp control guidelines for notty. Don't let it get into the 70's. I just did a split batch between notty and Safale 05. Everyone who has tried a blind tasting preferred the 05 version. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back