dirty Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Draagro

Reaction score
i am very new to this. I have my first batch of porter in secondary fermentation right now. My question is: I jostled my primary fermenter while racking it to the secondary resulting in excessive yeast being transferred. Is there any reason that i can't let it settle and then do it again to clarify the beer before bottling?

It will clarify just sitting. How much do you really need a stout or porter to clarify anyway?

Won't you be transferring to a bottling bucket before bottling?

That would essentially accomplish what you are asking. After you let it clarify in the secondary for a while, then rack to a bottling bucket, leaving the precipitate behind.

Honestly, I don't think it's worth it. Given enough time, anything that's going to fall out of suspension, will fall out of suspension. The more you fool around with your beer, the more you run the risk of contamination or oxidation.

If you're worried about clarity, use some gelatin. Cold crashing will also help.

A lot of people, me included, don't even use secondaries. Ferment in primary and let it fully ferment there. Bottle/keg when it's ready.

Of course, all this makes sense. i just need to be more careful when I'm bottling it to make sure that I don't disturb the sediment. Thanks everybody! :mug:

Back