Using Honey During Bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was just wondering if instead of putting sugar to create CO2 during bottling, if I could use honey instead. I want to give my beer a small hint of honey. Will this change how long the beer has to stay in the bottles before you can drink it?

You can use honey, but you won't get much if any flavor from it. If you want to add some honey aromatics, try using a honey malt in your mash/steeping grains. Honey, like syrup, as a primer is just an expensive waste IMO.

I have only primed with honey, so I can't offer a comparison. But I really like the way the beers have turned out, so it's a very viable option.

I've done this before with a pale ale, just to see if it changed the flavor, and since it was a very light beer, I figured it would be a good test. The end result was it had no honey flavor, and if anything the beer was slightly dryer than the ones I used corn sugar for priming. As others have said, if you want a honey flavor, your best bet is to use a bit of honey malt when you brew.

The club I belong to sometimes uses honey for priming. The thing we found with honey is that it is not always consistent. Sometimes it takes much longer for one of our honey primed beers to be ready.

Honey everytime...and I can always taste it...just slightly. Even my belgian tripels have a small hint of honey 3 months in the bottle. It can really help with IPAs as well, I also add the same honey during boil too

Back