The World Cup Approacheth

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No matter what the world knows happened, the game is over and the USA needs to just focus on Algeria who (despite England playing like ****e) put up a good game against the Brits, so are strong because they got the same result we did against them.

I have never seen such a close group stage before. This is unheard of that one team doesn't just stand out miles ahead of the rest. Argentina is looking good, but Messi hasn't even touched the goal (so to speak). Should be interesting to see what the groups G and H produce.

Wooo hoooo!!! I can't believe that NZ have managed a draw against Italy! That's amazing! It sounds pretty silly to be celebrating 2 draws, but this is our best word cup result ever!

Wooo hoooo!!! I can't believe that NZ have managed a draw against Italy! That's amazing! It sounds pretty silly to be celebrating 2 draws, but this is our best word cup result ever!

Congrats!!! I never saw the game, but that's one impressive result! :D

What the hell happened with North Korea? That was definitely not the team that held Brazil to 2:1. I think the defense and keeper need to start finding some place to live in South Africa because they are not going to want to go back.

Also, Ronaldos goal.... awesome. I love the accidental juggling.

By FAR, the biggest pleasure the tournament has given me so far is the completely self-administered meltdown the French are in the middle of. It's absolutely fantastic, and proof positive that karma is a wonderful thing.

Myself and millions of other Irishmen will be wearing the yellow and green of South Africa tomorrow. COME ON, BAFANA BAFANA!!!

Myself and millions of other Irishmen will be wearing the yellow and green of South Africa tomorrow. COME ON, BAFANA BAFANA!!!

Word. RSA is a quality club... and they have awesome names like the above mentioned Bafana Bafana and Tshabalala. Just kind of rolls off the tongue ^_^

And I got a little giddy when I heard of the French imploding. Great stuff :D

I fully expect England to get through. Not because they will suddenly stop playing like a bunch of 6 year old girls, but because it is always our destiny to be knocked out of tournaments in a penalty shoot out......Usually by Germany.

I cannot BELIEVE that USA got dicked out of another goal! THIS IS PURE EFFING SHENANIGANS!!

I am almost ready to call shenanigans. One more awfully botched call in a situation where the benefit of the doubt goes to the attacker and all bets are off. Total crap.

I just hope our guys can keep their cool. It should be 2-0 and a nice easy atmosphere, instead it is rife with nerves.

Good for England.

Hate to piss on the parade, yes, it was the wrong call, but it was a matter of inches and fractions of a second. A wrong call, yes....Shenanigans, to call that would be a bit rough on such a tight decision.

Anyways, onwards and upwards USA!

My problem with that call, is that if it is too close to call, you aren't supposed to call it.

Mistakes are fine. Too many mistakes start to stink like rubbish.

All I am smelling now is a faint whiff of something foul. If I smell Satan's Anus, then I'll know something is rotten in the State of Denmark.

My problem with that call, is that if it is too close to call, you aren't supposed to call it.

Mistakes are fine. Too many mistakes start to stink like rubbish.

All I am smelling now is a faint whiff of something foul. If I smell Satan's Anus, then I'll know something is rotten in the State of Denmark.

If the linesman was just a couple of feet of the incident it would affect his view dramatically in such a tight call. He doesn't have the benefit of freeze frame. What would you be saying if the goal stood, but was offside by an inch or two?

Well done USA. This is what football (soccer) is all about.
I defy any non football (soccer) supporter that they haven`t been on the edge of their seats all afternoon.
This is why football (soccer) is better thatn any NFL, MLB, Basketball.
Many Congrats on finishing top of the group.
Down to the last 16
Squeaky Bum Time.

Wow... how do I go to work after that? 91st minute.

Best result possible England and US through with the U.S. winning its group for the first time since 1930! That is a long ass time.

Well done USA. This is what football (soccer) is all about.
I defy any non football (soccer) supporter that they haven`t been on the edge of their seats all afternoon.
This is why football (soccer) is better thatn any NFL, MLB, Basketball.
Just got done explaining to co worker why 1 goal in 90+ minutes is far more exciting than a combined 300 points in the 48 minute basketball game. Some just don't understand.

90th minute. There was plenty of time, not like a 91st minute goal! :)
Still a solid 3 minutes left even with a 91st :D

Just got done explaining to co worker why 1 goal in 90+ minutes is far more exciting than a combined 300 points in the 48 minute basketball game. Some just don't understand.

Sometimes (More often than you would think) A single goal is like snorting coke that just spent a night out jacking up on heroin while totally drunk.

Down to the last 16
Squeaky Bum Time.

As you already know, most teams that win the cup always have one match along the way that almost throws them out of the competition. I think that both USA and England have had their share of those already. Now it's all about taking chances and going for gold.

Best of luck to both of me! :D

I just think that this stupid old cow is taking her job too seriously!

nevermind_the_jubilee.jpg

Jiminy Christmas.

Was starting to think that the missed opportunities were going to bite the States squarely on the arse. Jozy Altidore is far from international class talent - that game should've been put to bed long before Landon knocked that one in. No idea what Algeria was thinking - they had a chance to progress, but played like they already decided they weren't going to. Shocking stuff, awful negative football from them, and thrilled the Yanks got the win against them.

More iffy officiating (the red card for the Algerian at the end was inexplicable?) with another disallowed goal. That one falls squarely under the 'these things happen in football' category though, tight decision that the linesman had to make in a split second. Could have gone either way - although not to hear John Harkes and his mass conspiracy against the USA theories talk about it!

Games later on today are gonna be interesting - wonder who the US is going to get? Big chance it'll be zee Germans, and if so revenge will be on the minds, after 2002.

Latest posts

Back