Fastest Fermentation I've Ever Seen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe this is some good kind of good karma for the incredible stuck sparge I had on this batch.

I brewed up 10 gallons of my Ode To Arthur, Irish Stout (Guinness Style All Grain) and the Irish Ale yeast I used (WLP004) was finished fermenting in exactly 50 hours.

Okay, well maybe not completely finished but moving from 1.047 to 1.009 in 50 hours is pretty darned fast.

Anyone else use this yeast and had this kind of fermentation? I also only had about 1/8 " of a thin krausen. A far cry from the Belgian Wit Yeast I've used the last few batches.

Hardly makes up for the 5 hour mash nightmare I had last Friday night though...:p

BierMuncher said:
Hardly makes up for the 5 hour mash nightmare I had last Friday night though...:p

Five hours, is that all? I had one take overnight once for conversion :D

Some of the Fermentis yeasts I have seen similar short ferment times.

Both the beers I brewed with WLP004 were done (reached terminal gravity) in 48 hours...it is a super fast yeast.

ColoradoXJ13 said:
Both the beers I brewed with WLP004 were done (reached terminal gravity) in 48 hours...it is a super fast yeast.
Definitley going to have to harvest this batch of yeast.

You'd think as fast as this yeast ferments, the Guiness Brewery production would be higher and the price would come down...

BRILLIANT!!!

The Wyeast Irish Ale Yeast I made a starter from this weekend has seemed to be finished in this short of a time. I was worried when I only saw about a 1/4" of krausen form and airliock activity slow significantly. I'm going to check the gravity tonight to see where I am....who knows, maybe it finished this quick?

If so, I'll probably let it sit for the remainder of the weekend before transferring to secondary for a couple of weeks.

Back