Clogged with Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forbein11

Reaction score
I'm new to kegging and have run into a problem. I made an IPA that I dry hopped with 2 oz of pellets. When I transferred into the keg from secondary, a bunch of hops residue got in. I thought it would just come out for a bit and I'd be fine after the first few glasses. Now when I open the tap nothing comes out. I pull the out connection off and remove the post and it's clogged with hops. I cleaned out the hops from the poppit valve and it just clogs again.

What is my best option? Should I remove and cut the diptube? Should I transfer to another keg and strain (being careful not to oxidate)? If I do this, will the fact that it is already somewhat carbonated cause a problem, eg. lose carbonation?

Thanks for the help.

Jamie

Do not cut your diptube.

Pull the diptube out, and put some kind of filter on it, mabye a nykon hop bag, to keep it from sucking the crud up.

In the future, put the hops in a hopbag, and ziptie it about 2/3 the way down your diptube for keg dryhopping.

Back