Secondary and no action

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HAREEBROWNBEEST

Reaction score
I moved my cider a few days ago to the secondary, added some apple juice concentrate and some syrup and nothings going on, nada! Is it done?

Hydrometer readings only way to know for sure. Secondary will normally be much less active than primary.

So many variables to consider,
What was your OG & FG?
What yeast did you use?
Did you use any unfermentables.
What temp has it been at?
How long has it been going?

With very little information it will be a bit difficult for me to analyze your cider from a few thousand miles away.

Final gravity was 1.000, it been in primary since 4/20-5/08, 18 days, temps are at 72-74 f. Used 1 vial of white labs English ale yeast to two gallons of cider.

1.000 is pretty well done. You may get to .098 or even .096 but it could take awhile. You didn't mention what the OG was. IF you didn't add sugar it should have been arounf 1.05. The yeast should take that pretty dry. I usually leave in primary for a few months, transfer to secondary for a few more months than keg or bottle.

I have the good fortune of having a big pipeline and lots of carboys so I don't need to rush it. You can have good cider much sooner. I just prefer to give it some time.

since you added more fermentables after going to secondary you should see some action, it just may take a few days. Cider moves pretty slow sometimes.
Do you know the alcohol tolerance of that yeast?
Also, was there any preservative in the concentrate you added? That could bring your yeast to a standstill.

Back