Whats a good beer to add fruit too??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epic501j

Reaction score
Hey
Was at the brew store and grabbed a few cans of the fruit puree cherry rasberry etc.Anyways i was wanting to make a fruit beer.But didnt want to do invoved recipe.I havent brewed in awhile.Just wanted somthing quick and simple.I can pick up a brew kit,you know the ones that come with hops malt in a can yeast etc.but wasnt sure what would be a good one that wouldnt compete with the fruit for flavor? I was thinking pretty much any light beer? I do love porter but fruit porter dosent sound good.
Any pointers,advise,2 cents or IMHO most welcome :D
thanks

Fruit is quite popular in wheat beers. The belgian bar servers a kreik (pardon the spelling) which is a rasberry ale or dark lager and I think it tastes really nice. I've never heard of that type of beer before so hopefully someone with more knowledege on it will jump in.

Here is a recipe I found for a Mock Kriek, Lambic, Belgian Sour Brown

Never brewed it before but it sounds interesting.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.75 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 36.7 %
2.75 lb Wheat Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 36.7 %
1.00 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 13.3 %
0.75 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00%] (60 min) Hops 10.4 IBU
0.50 oz Saaz [4.00%] (15 min) Hops 3.4 IBU
3.50 oz Cherry Extract (Bottling 5.0 min) Misc
6.50 oz Raspberry Extract (Bottling 5.0 min) Misc
1.00 lb Candi Sugar, Clear (0.5 SRM) Sugar 13.3 %
1 Pkgs Trappist High Gravity (Wyeast Labs #3787) Yeast-Wheat

If you do let me know how it turns out. I would age till Christmas.

- WW

Wilson, that cant be quite right for a lambic/sour brown. You're missing the sour part of it. I'm sure it would still be good. Just has nothing really in common with lambic or sour brown. Kriek usually implies sour too.......(IMHO)

try adding some beasties in there. (unless you rely on the fruit to add wild beasties)

Back