Stopper in Carboy - Need Ideas, Help Please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just racked my 2nd brew, a sweet stout, and the stopper slipped into the carboy. I'm without another stopper, and need some help as to what to do. Feel like I screwed this one up. Thanks.

Thanks! just regular old tin foil? And should i change it out at all/make a hole or anything for the airlock?

I was also thinking that I should clean the plastic ale pale, sanitize and throw it back in there. But, that seems like it'd be a bad idea to move the beer that much.

Thanks! just regular old tin foil? And should i change it out at all/make a hole or anything for the airlock?

I was also thinking that I should clean the plastic ale pale, sanitize and throw it back in there. But, that seems like it'd be a bad idea to move the beer that much.

Regular foil will be fine. Just santize it, and put it on the carboy. I assume that fermentation is over, since you racked it to a carboy, so it should stay on there nicely.

Give your foil a spray with sanitizer before you attach it to the carboy. Then just wrap the foil around the neck - just crimp it by hand, no rubber band or anything. CO2 will be able to work its way out and the foil will keep dust and bugs out.

Get a new bung when you have a chance to pick one up and replace the foil.

It's all good.

yeah, fermentation is definitely over, but I put an airlock on last brew, so I figured I'd do the same. I'm going out of town tomorrow, and figured i'd secondary tonight and come back in a week without worry. That went down the tube...but, the foil is on now. Thanks for your help guys.

One last question, just to make sure I'm clear in this lightly anxious state of mine - would it be cool if i left the tinfoil on till, say, next Friday afternoon?

yeah, fermentation is definitely over, but I put an airlock on last brew, so I figured I'd do the same. I'm going out of town tomorrow, and figured i'd secondary tonight and come back in a week without worry. That went down the tube...but, the foil is on now. Thanks for your help guys.

One last question, just to make sure I'm clear in this lightly anxious state of mine - would it be cool if i left the tinfoil on till, say, next Friday afternoon?

Sure. You just need to keep the beer covered, so that bugs/critters/dust doesn't get into it.

Thanks a lot for your help guys. Kinda got into a panic there. I had to run to the convenience store real quick to actually get the foil, but like I said, it's on now. So, I'm just going to do what I can to relax and know that I'll be in Minnesota tomorrow and have my pick of the litter for brew number 3 at Midwest and Northern. Much appreciation for the help.

Latest posts

Back