Using Fermwrap all on its own

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Judochop

Reaction score
I’m not using it in conjunction with a temp regulator of any sort. (Someday… just not now.)

I’m doing a couple Belgians in the next two months and would like to see my ferments happen at least in the mid-70’s. I’ve got options; a spot in the basement hovers around 60, another @ 64, and upstairs is around 68.

I just have no idea how much the fermwrap is going to heat things up. The BBB website on the Fermwrap says it’ll boost 4-20 degrees depending. That’s a big range. I’m not sure if the lower value ‘4’ means a carboy with the wrap hugging it or something less severe.

Has anybody used the Fermwrap as plainly advertised? Meaning, just wrapped around a glass carboy and left ON, no other gimmickry applied. What kind of temp bump can I expect?

Any advice based on my (environmental) conditions?

Thanks!

The fermwrap can be regulated a little bit. I have one of those stick on thermometers on the side of my carboy to help. Basically I wrap a towel around the carboy then apply fermwrap. You can adjust the contact thus controlling the temp. I use small spring clips to hold the fermwrap to the towel.

The fermwrap can be regulated a little bit. I have one of those stick on thermometers on the side of my carboy to help. Basically I wrap a towel around the carboy then apply fermwrap. You can adjust the contact thus controlling the temp. I use small spring clips to hold the fermwrap to the towel.
Cool. What kind of temp increase do you get with your towel method?

Well my temp this time of the year in my kitchen run between 60-70. If I put fermwrap directly on the carboy it can get too warm. I found with the towel and loosely putting fermwrap on I get 72-4 degrees. I try not to go much over 70 but sometimes I need the fermwrap.

Back