Dumb Bottling Mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayhuff

Reaction score
This morning I was bottling a half batch of my Simple-Minded Ale that was brewed on the anniversary of my first brew day(July 10). I didn't have the right lid to my bottling bucket, so I was covering it with my kettle's lid. I had 12 bottles sitting next to the bucket that were full with the caps just sitting on them waiting to be crimped down. (Do you already know what is going to happen?)

Well I decide to remove the bucket with ill fitting lid from the counter to give me more room to cap. As I pick it up, the lid slides off and bangs into the bottles. I'll be darn if it didn't tip all of them over.

I rapidly started to set them back up and ended up with a dozen of half filled bottles. So after combing what was left, I ended up losing 6 bottles. That is 1/4 of the batch since I do half batches.

Moral of the story, use the right equipment and cap those bottles quickly!!

Ouch... I always try to keep my bottles s far from everything that could knock them over as possible.

OUCH!!! I feel for ya

I always bottle on the other side of the kitchen counter. I place a case box with sixer holders on the floor to fill them up then carry the case over to my "bottling station" and cap them there

This morning I was bottling a half batch of my Simple-Minded Ale that was brewed on the anniversary of my first brew day(July 10). I didn't have the right lid to my bottling bucket, so I was covering it with my kettle's lid. I had 12 bottles sitting next to the bucket that were full with the caps just sitting on them waiting to be crimped down. (Do you already know what is going to happen?)

Well I decide to remove the bucket with ill fitting lid from the counter to give me more room to cap. As I pick it up, the lid slides off and bangs into the bottles. I'll be darn if it didn't tip all of them over.

I rapidly started to set them back up and ended up with a dozen of half filled bottles. So after combing what was left, I ended up losing 6 bottles. That is 1/4 of the batch since I do half batches.

Moral of the story, use the right equipment and cap those bottles quickly!!

Man, that sucks. I lost a few bottles last month. Only about three, from a five gallon batch, but it was still heart-wrenching watching new beer spill onto the floor.

Since then, I've adopted a "Bottle 12, cap 12, bottle 12, cap 12" methodology. And I try to pack them into boxes before the area gets too crowded.

Back