time to play the "can you name this style by the pictures" game.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pumpkin Ale

Ding ding! This was, specifically, Southern Tier Pumking.

Pumpkin was the adjunct in the mash that I was hinting at (then there's all the spices that come later). This one was a real "pumpkin ale," but if no actual pumpkin is used, they still call it a "pumpkin spice ale," so I would have accepted either one.

My first real batch of homebrew was a pumpkin ale kit that I got along with my first equipment starter kit, and I still go out and buy a couple of commercial offerings this time of every year to commemorate that. Such wonderful nostalgia...

This one was a real "pumpkin ale," but if no actual pumpkin is used, they still call it a "pumpkin spice ale," so I would have accepted either one.

Ahh, that's what threw me. I seriously considered pumpkin, but I couldn't think of any situation in which you would call something a pumpkin ale without pumpkin.

Ahh, that's what threw me. I seriously considered pumpkin, but I couldn't think of any situation in which you would call something a pumpkin ale without pumpkin.

Yeah, I wasn't sure if that hint would help or confuse. Still, I always figure you're going to be the one to suss it out, so I was surprised! :mug:

Pretty fun game, here is mine, looking for style only

GuessBeer.png

Oh man, my turn again already! Okay...here ya go (properly oriented this time!). I'm going to give you some major help to get started, because this time I'm looking for the specific beer. So here are your hints:

1. It's local
2. It's a lager
3. If you happen to recognize the brewery/beer represented on the glass, it's not that one (even more local than that).

Photo on 10-8-14 at 9.27 PM #2.jpg

You guys nailed the style straight away (it's actually labeled as a Märzen). However, it is not either of those particular brews.

Okay, here's today's hint (which might just give it away):

This brewery enlists a well-known homebrewer-gone-pro to oversee recipe design.

No one's gotten it yet! There's also an adjunct or two in this marzen, and the brewery has cleverly altered the word "marzen" by a letter or two to fit the beer's theme, as well as the brewery's overall image.

Nope. The brewery is pretty new, only about 2 years old if I'm not mistaken. They don't have a huge selection, so once you figure out the brewery, it won't be hard to determine the brew.

Okay, since there have been no new guesses, I'll give a huge hint. The brewery that made this beer, though located in (well, just outside of) Chicago, identifies itself just as much with Latin-American culture as with midwestern.

Vida y muerte

That's the one! To clarify any and all hints that folks might not have gotten, 5 Rabbit calls themselves a "cerveceria" and identifies strongly as latin american (while not making any Corona-style lagers, thankfully). The homebrewer-turned-pro that I mentioned is Randy Mosher, who oversees their recipe design. Finally, the variation on the name Märzen that they have given this beer is "Muerzen," a nod to their latin vibe and to the name of the brew itself.

Your turn, MrFeltimo!

Photo on 10-8-14 at 9.27 PM.jpg

Not a dunkel, its about time for a hint.

Jordan so close, yet Jordan so far, not South of the border but north by the star.....

HaHa that was fun.

Not a dunkel, its about time for a hint.

Jordan so close, yet Jordan so far, not South of the border but north by the star.....

HaHa that was fun.

I dig your style, man.

I have to say I'm 90% sure this is from a Toronto brewery (so close = geographically, so far = Mild is nowhere near correct; the border = CA/US border; The Star = The Toronto Star newspaper)

That said I am not very familiar with the Canadian beer scene so I'm still guessing.

Bellwoods Dry Stout

No, good guess. But geographically miles away.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Just to be clear, are you looking for the style or the specific beer? I'm going to take your post as a hint (which means I get another guess) and do both, but it would help to know what I need to be guessing.

Next one I'm going to guess is from a brewery that is very literally "by the star" - Les 3 Brasseurs which is walking distance from The Star's main offices (still going on that hunch). I'm guessing it is their Brown Ale.

This implies that I'm also guessing that you moved at some point from Toronto to Pennsylvania, and thus Toronto is your "motherland" that you originally mentioned. Confirm/deny?

BTW this game (from the last couple entries) is starting to remind me of:

250px-Where_in_the_World_Is_Carmen_Sandiego_1985_Cover.jpg

AND I LIKE IT! :mug:

P.S. Anyone who grew up on the original Carmen Sandiego computer game like I did - imagine how different that game would be today with all of the tools at your disposal!

Back