A Noobie Question.....foam out of bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewagentjay

Reaction score
So I cracked open one of my National Brew Day Scottish Ales last night to taste just curious. Well soon as I pop top it took a few seconds and it had bubbles coming from bottom as if I had already poured it into a glass and then foam rolled out. I was rinsing my mug, so I quickly poured it into the mug or what I could because the foaming got worse.

I like head, but this was all head and no beer for a while.

Any ideas? :drunk::confused:

It tasted great once it wasn't foam any more.

First recipe where I carmalized part of the wort so was wondering if that gave added sugars for my yeasties to attack once I woke them up with crack shot aka pure corn sugar?

i had the same thing happen for my caramel apple ale. i hope someone has an answer to this cause i sure dont. i brewed it last year and with time the foaming only gets worse. i have a stain on my ceiling from one bottle that as soon as i opened it rocked to the ceiling. my suggestion is to only open the bottle over the sink and the older it gets go outside.

Either gusher infection, overcarbonation, or some mentos were slipped into your bottles.

How long was the bottle in the fridge? I like to store them at least a couple days could so that the c02 will be completely dissolved into solution before opening.

an infection could easily cause this. Sometimes bacteria may not be seen or tasted but could cause this problem. Were your bottles well sanitized?

Sounds like a gusher infection to me. I've had overcarbed beers that were foamy, but not right out of the bottle. Just massive foam when pouring. Then I've had 1 gusher due to infection in 1 bottle. Must not have cleaned that one just right.

I would guess gusher infection as well. I had one last year. It was the last batch I bottled and it was in every single one. So, I went out and replaced my entire bottling setup, just in case. If it's only the one bottle you probably just didn't get it cleaned and sanitized correctly.

I have only tested one bottle. So wasn't in fridge too long maybe 2 hours. I'll put one in to fridge tonight let it stay for a couple days see what I get.

Back