First thing you do is shovel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulthenurse

Fecal Transplant Super Donor
Reaction score
Down by the rivah, Down by the banks of the Rivah
Ok, ever read a recipe that reads, Begin by shoveling yourself a dry area to brew in. Almost a foot here in Boston yesterday. Got up early to shovel out SWMBO and figured, "What the hell, I've go the day off.

DSCF2863.jpg

PTN

Yeah, that really sucked. Took me a few hours last night to clear the driveway ... time for a snowblower!

Enjoy the day off!

SWMBO and I were discussing this morning why we can't have the same kinda snow in MD like MA has.....but then again we're in Denver now, and it's gonna snow all day

You probably wouldn't miss it so much if your normal 35 minute commute home took 3 1/2 hours, like SWMBO's did yesterday. Don't get me wrong, I'm already breaking out in a rash cause it's the middle of December and I haven't strapped on the sticks yet, but I'm getting old. Maybe that snowblower is a good idea.

paulthenurse said:
OK I found a real positive in all this...

DSCF2865.jpg

I'm not monkeying with a chiller today when I've got an easier option.

PTN

you are going to have to keep putting snow around it aren't ya?

You don't have to pile on new snow, just move the kettle to a new spot.

Personally, I was born & raised in snow country, learned to drive in snow country, went to college in snow country. And if I NEVER got within 50 miles of snow again, that wouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately, it does snow once in a while (one accumulation in three years) out here.

Actually, I ended up bringing it in the kitchen and putting it in the sink and filling the sink up with snow/water. I forgot I've got a dentist appointment at 3 so I need to expidite things.

9 # pale
.5 # 60 craystal

First wort hopped with
1.5 oz Centennial

.5 oz Saaz at 30

.5 oz Saaz at 5

.5 oz EKG at flame out.

I'll pitch it onto a yeast cake of Nottingham from a batch of Hob Goblin that I racked this morning.

98EXL said:
SWMBO and I were discussing this morning why we can't have the same kinda snow in MD like MA has.....but then again we're in Denver now, and it's gonna snow all day
Sometimes it snows here. And when it does it snows a lot (well at least a lot for around here). I was hoping that would happen this weekend, but it looks like it will just rain :(

Certain places say we'll get freezing rain... SWMBO asked me this morning "How are you going to brew?"

I always find a way.

It's been two weeks and I'm in withdrawl... I've even doing an extract batch just to have a full fermenter. :)

It hit us here on Tuesday. I also took advantage of the 'snow day' to brew. I couldn't think of anything else I'd enjoy doing better on a day off from work!

We got a couple inches of rain last week in Socal and everybody's stoked! I think that's as much rain as we got all last year.

Bah, we got a ****-ton (metric) of snow last night, and it's still snowing. That's Michigan for ya!

Great pic's Paul. A 1/2 hour north of ya we got a foot on Thursday and a foot today..I love it..I brewed yesterday, but indoors.I can't wait till Santa comes so i can start brewing outside with my brand-spanking new burner..

It's been -30 C here most of the week, but it's warmed up to -10 C today. I'm trying to do renos on the house and my table saw is so cold it just trips breakers. I'm with David, I could live just fine without ever seeing snow or sub-zero temperatures again. Everything is a hassle when it's colder than your freezer outside.

adx said:
Sometimes it snows here. And when it does it snows a lot (well at least a lot for around here). I was hoping that would happen this weekend, but it looks like it will just rain :(

I hoped it didn't, I hate missing snow in MD....but I've been enjoying it all here in Denver for now...

I prefer the snow for the first few storms of the year - which we've reached now - and then it gets old. BUT, I'll tell you- there are times I would rather have the snow - like Sunday in Foxboro for example - at the Pats/Jets game it was raining, windy, and COLD! My hands were freezing 'cause my gloves weren't waterproof enough. I'd take snow over rain in this example anyday!:mug:

Cell Phone Pic:
pats_jets07.jpg

I'm dying to go to Foxboro....I've met a buddy who lives in the area at the shaddy ass motel on route 1 many times because it's impossible to get to his house, and I'm just dying to go!

SWMBO and I were discussing this morning why we can't have the same kinda snow in MD like MA has
I was in Nebraska last week for the Ice storm followed by Snow.. I'm glad we don't get snow like that, I don't miss the cold at all. MD snow is fine It isn't often and doesn't stay on the ground long. The weather is cold enough to have real seasons without worrying about pipes freezing..good enough for me, I absolutely enjoyed selling my snow blower because I don't need it anymore

paulthenurse said:
Do you think you might want to rephrase that a bit?

HAHAHA

Rewrite:
When I drive to hang out with my buddy who lives near Foxboro, we meet at the shady ass motel so I can follow him back to his place because google maps or mapqwest can't get you there

(either way I'm screwed on this one)

Back